CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Would You?

Word came out today that the Texas Rangers will most likely offer Slammin' Sammy Sosa a minor league contract for next year, with the chance to make the ML roster. At first, I thought it was some kind of joke, but it seems like it will happen.

I'm torn on the "Steroid era" guys. Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, etc.. I gotta admit, when Sosa and Big Mac were bashing home runs in 1998, I was glued to the set. It was awesome: here were 2 bigger than life superstars hitting home runs as fast as the pitchers would throw the ball. Are they saviors of the game, or are they nothing more than a garden variety cheater?

How are Sosa and Mcgwire any different than someone like Gaylord Perry, who would laugh about how he cheated? Perry is in the Hall of Fame: I have my doubts whether Sosa or McGwire will ever get in. Perry won over 300 games by mainly throwing a spitter, an illegal pitch by MLB rules, yet no one cares. Sosa, McGwire, and Palmiero are either accused of, or guilty of, using steriods, and everyone is ready to get a rope and find the nearest tree. Yet everyone kinda laughs at Gaylord, and looks the other way.

I asked myself this question: If someone told me that if I took a pill, or got a shot, and it would make me a better salesman, would I take it? The chance to greatly increase my income, give my children a better future, insure they would never want for anything, would I take it? If I could take care of my children, and my children's children for the rest of their lives, would I take it?

What if that pill would make me sick, or cause acne, or impotence? What if that pill or shot take years off my life, making sure that my time with my family was cut short?

If I could ensure that my wife, and my 3 children would never want for anything. That my children could have the education they deserve, the life I want for them. And my wife would never have to worry again about a bill, insurance, or money ever again? If I had the chance to make more money than I had ever dreamed of, and take care of my family for the rest of their lives, would I do it?

What would YOU do?

8 comments:

Tex said...

Gosh Ted...this is a hard one. When you put it out there like that including your family...but what you didn't say is what if you'd get in trouble with your job doing it?

Two things I see with the steroid scandel:
1. MLB says you cant do them
2. the use of steroids to get immediate results of a more productive body reminds me too much of our society's problem with "Immediate Gratification"

So back some years...I could have paid $2500. and gotten a Masters degree...or gone for 6 semesters studying hard and finally getting one for more money...alot more money. The 1st Masters looked good...seemed to be good but in the long run, it wasnt real...it wasnt viewed as accredited. The 2nd Masters was at an accredited college and nationally known program. I chose the 2nd one.
I could have chosen the easy way...

I think it all comes back to integrity and the issue with America wanting everything NOW..RIGHT NOW...no matter the cost.

Don't get me wrong. I love my family and would do ALMOST anything to help them...That Almost is where alot of people dont know where to draw the line.

Peter N said...

I'd wonder if Sammy still looks like Popeye! And I'm being funny...your post brought up so many good questions.

Stacy said...

I think you'd say no. Your family is worth way more to you than any financial gain. Dying people don't wish for more money, they wish for more time with their families.

Tex said...

Ted
i got me a starbucks today and jus as always I read "The Way I See It" on the back

Quote says
You can shower a child with presents or money, but what do they really mean, compared to the most valuable gift of all -- your time?

There was more...but it just reinterates what Stacy said

Ted D said...

Tex, I think after talking to me for awhile, you know my stance here: my family ALWAYS comes first for me. I guess my point was that we are quick as a society to judge these players, yet how many of us, if we were presented with the situation, would act like them? More than most would admit is my guess. Thank you coming here everyday. And Stacy and Peter, 'preciate you stopping by.

Tex said...

Ted I knew what your choice would be. I think most of these guys have their families best interest at heart too...but sometimes the lines of right and wrong get blurred when you're in any line of work that involves alot of money and attention.

I really did like your post though...wish sometimes ball players would read it.

Ted D said...

Thanks Texas. And with all the time off you are going to get until Monday, I expect at least one new post by you!

Tex said...

I've been busy around here actually. I get inspired after walking so perhaps I'll head out again tomorrow.