CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 2, 2007

The Diceman cometh


After months of reading, hearing, and seeing Daisuke Matsuzaka, after endless articles about the mysterious gyroball, he finally pitched today. I saw and heard way too much about Scott Boras over the winter, and wasted way too much time watching YouTube videos of Dice K than a married father of 3 should ever be allowed. It was all worth it to see what I saw tonight.
Calm. Poised. Unfazed by the circus of photographers, writers, and fans, Dice K went out and pitched 2 scoreless innings. Sure he gave up a lead off double, but he never rattled and struck out 3 over the next 2 innings. After seeing Schilling throw nothing but fastballs in his start, and reading where Beckett basically did the same thing, I was expecting that tonight. Guy threw at least 5 DIFFERENT pitches in his first Spring Training start!
Before the hour was over, my daughter, Ciera, was asking me to show her how to spell his name, Rakes was pretending to throw like him with that dramatic pause at the top of his windup, and I was on line looking for a Dice K t shirt. Yeah, yeah, I know: It's his first start, and it's Spring Training, and yeah, it was Boston College.
Don't matter. He may not ever be the superman he's being made out to be, but he is already better than a lot of veteran MLB pitchers. He's 26, and we've got him wrapped up for the foreseeable future, and he wears the B on his cap.
Can't wait until the first time he pitches to Slappy McBluelips.
"Are you crying? Crying? There's no CRYING in baseball Slappy. Check yourself!"

9 comments:

Tex said...

Game was great today!! We all cheered SO LOUD for Manny....then we saw CHB up in the press box...screaming and yelling...hope to get up there early tomorrow for autographs.

sheri said...

All I can say is... did you see the scores for the Friday games? I do believe the Yankees had a win and the Sox had a LOSS... Crying, there is no crying in baseball.

Ted D said...

Sheri, It's Spring Training. Wins and losses don't matter as much as how guys look in the limited time they are in. C'mon Yankee apologist: get real.

Tex, where are the pictures? We want pictures of ST!

KAYLEE said...

I liked seeing him pitch!I tivvoed it and watched it like 5 times:)Umm sheri: just watch the SOX take the yankees down when the games count:]

Ted D said...

Sheri, big sister that I love, you are at the wrong blog to be professing your twisted Yankee love!

Go Kaylee!

KAYLEE said...

I had to say something couldnt let that comment go:)

KAYLEE said...

Paps looked good today but,I really want to be in FORT MYERS Right now!I will be in 10 days though!I am excited:)WHAT A LOVELY PLACE TO SPEND MY SPRING BREAK:)

sheri said...

Ted and Kaylee... only time will tell. You cheer for your Sox and I'll cheer for my Yankees... may the better team win.

Ted D said...

Sheri, what kind of Yankee comment is "may the best team win"? You Yankee fans are usually very confident. You worried a little bit about this year?!

Love you sis.