CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"Don, this Wily Mo Pener is one strong hitter"

*Photo from sittingstill.net*


One of my favorite things about the baseball season is getting to hear Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy call the Red Sox home games. As you can tell from the picture, they obviously take themselves and their job very serious. Hands down the funniest broadcast team around today. Remy, with his New England accent, is forever putting an "er" on the end of the guys names. Loretta was Loretter, Pena is Pener, Pedroia is Pedroier, and I'm sure Lugo will be Luger. I can only pray he calls Matsuzaka Matsuzaker at some point.


At least 5 times a game I will laugh out loud at something they say or are doing, and there has been many a time Angie has asked me what I'm laughing about at a ball game. When Denis Leary and Lenny Clarke took over the booth last year and just went OFF, I thought Remy and Orsillo may not make it. Classic TV.


Since I get the MLB Xtra Innings, I get to see a lot of different announce teams because MLB uses the home teams feed, and trust me: the folks who get to hear these 2 on a regular basis are extremely lucky. Because there are some truly HORRIBLE broadcast teams in some local markets. So with Opening Day now 12 days away, here are my best and worse.

BEST
1. Orsillo and Remy hands down. You can't beat the Red Sox along side hysterical giggling for minutes on end.

2. Vin Scully is still doing Dodger games. By himself with no color man. A more relaxing sound than him calling a Dodger game I have not found.

3. Jon Miller and Mike Krukow doing the SF Giants games. Strangely, Jon makes both the best and the worst on my list. See below.

4. Joe Buck and Al "The Mad Hungarian" Harbosky on the St. Louis Cardinals broadcasts. Buck, when he's not trying to be the smartest guy in the room, calls a good game and provides some good insights. An added bonus is the feeling Harbosky will suddenly go crazy and try to throw Buck out the window at any given time.

5. Dave O'Brien and Rick Sutcliffe on ESPN games. O'Brein is as smooth as silk, and Sut knows his stuff. Also, he has been known to show up in the booth after consuming some "adult beverages" so there is always the chance of a random "Non FCC approved word" appearance.


Worst
1. Ken "The Hawk" Harrellson and "DJ" Darrin Jackson. 2 of the biggest hacks I have ever heard, not to mention the most blatant homers in the history of broadcast television. I know as the teams official announcers, you are supposed to be fans of the team. These 2 yahoos complain about umpire calls for petes sake. Harrellson's moronic catch phrases like "He gone!" after a strikeout by the opposing team and "You can put it on the board-YES!" after every White Sox home run is the equivalent of hearing the sound a cat makes when a kid throws it in the pool. Just for 3 SOLID HOURS. To call them broadcast journalists is an insult to broadcast journalists everywhere.

2. Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. Miller makes the best list. Wonder why he's on the worst.

3. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays Dewayne Statts and Joe Magrane. They actually aren't too bad: it's just ex wrestler "Nasty Boy" Brian Knobbs is a season ticket holder, and because the place is half empty every night, you hear every word this moron screams out during the game. Plus, he drinks steadily during the game, as the camera shows him about every 2.3 seconds and he's always pounding a beer. He's stupid when he's sober: you can imagine how he is after a 9 inning game.

4. Dave Niehaus and Dave Henderson on the Seattle Mariners. Yes, that Dave "Hendu" Henderson who hit the huge HR for the Red Sox in the '86 playoff game against the Angels. Niehaus seems like he forgets where he is half the time, and Henderson constantly trips over his words and can't seem to organize a thought to save his life. It's not a pleasant experience.

5. Tim McCarver. By himself. How this man has the premier color job in national broadcast baseball I'll never be able to figure out. Calls guys the wrong name, will argue a point even when the replay says otherwise, and will drop a line he thinks is funny and afterword you can hear crickets chirp. I'll never understand his appeal.


Well, that's my list. And if the season does not start soon, I'm gonna run out of stuff to write about. 'Cause this might be scraping the bottom of the creative well.


MATSUZAKER!

I can't wait.







42 comments:

KAYLEE said...

I agree I hate TIM MCcarver the guy is worthless.He should get a new job.I love REMY and Don I get mad when I have to listen to other broadcasters on MLBTV:)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Teddy you really need a backup hobby! Blogging about top ten broadcasters is pushing the limit! I can only say hmmm. Garrison and I are going baseball attire shopping tomorrow. Are you going to hook up a game in july? I could be at YOUR house about 3 weeks.Just the thought gets the oneliners flowing thru my veins. I like to sleep till about 8:30 and then have one scrambled egg and toast with coffee if thats not to much to ask. One more thing could the boys hold down the noise?

KAYLEE said...

//One more thing could the boys hold down the noise?//

Scott i am not sure that possible.I have a small brother they are noisy al the time.TEd aint your server either.At least I dont think.Okay I am on a major caffeine HIGH.I think I am addicted to it IS that possible?

KAYLEE said...

you are making me want to go update my blog now TED.

KAYLEE said...

//and then have one scrambled egg and toast//


I hate Scrambled eggs well actually I am alergic to eggs:)

KAYLEE said...

man I need a spell checker.

KAYLEE said...

I hate sidney Crosby He Is making me mad!

Ted D said...

Scotty, I'm telling you, DO and Remy are awesome. I'll indoctrinate you in July. Sleep until 8:30 at this house? Are you insane? And if you stay here, I'm giving firm orders to Rakes to wake you up every morning by jumping on your bed and screaming "Wake up Uncle Scott: it's bat and ball time"!

KAYLEE said...

I am gunna be up til three in the morning tonight and I gotta be on the plane at 7am its not fair.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Kaylee ,Dial 911 before you implode. What the heck you hate crosby.You speak that like you know something about HOCKEY! Ted you danced around the game hookup question. Is you or isn't you. Where is Pinecone. You guys are getting ready for the big market bash. I knew it . Cutting me out again!

KAYLEE said...

Scott:Yes I hate crosby,And you would be surprised at how much I know about hockey.Probably alot more than you.

Ted D said...

Bub, the only game we can hit is the Greenville Drive and Gabe Kapler. The Sox are in the ATL in June, and not in Baltimore until Sept. I don't make the schedule: I just live by it.

I've got the extra ticket for Sept. and you know this: just get your plane ticket and we are good to go.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Kaylee, I believe I forget more than you know!!! Ok Ted If thats the best you can do then I can except it. Now excuse me while I try and get high score on guitar hero.

KAYLEE said...

//Kaylee, I believe I forget more than you know!!!//

i forget how much men Forget especially as they get older!you seem proud of it though.

Ted D said...

You are too much. I don't make the MLB schedule, and I don't think Uncle Bud will change it for you. I'm doing what I can here! You need to man up flower boy and come out in Sept to go to the O's/Sox games with us.

Check your marbles son and man up!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

So Kaylee if I undestand you correctly, you don't remember that men forget!So to you we don't really forget!!! Ted what is the date in sept.

KAYLEE said...

Thats about right at least by the way I said it but,you MEN do forget alot

Tex said...

hen ted im back fromaout iwtih my friens

sepetember gameis not too far awau/uy.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Hey Tex I think its just us chickens. You know that "Better to burn out than fade away " is not all its cracked up to be.But then you didn't ask for my two cents .Hangin it up for tonight. Have to get ready to go back to work !

HorshamScouse said...

Hi Ted, late to the party again. Couldn't agree more about DO/Remy (do, re, mi?:)) and love Jon Miller. I will mute my PC when those White Sox guys are on.
Vin Scully on his own is worth any four of most other pairs but for me the worst, most unprofessional combination are the Blue Jays annoncers at the Skydome. They really sound like the 'before' guys in Baseball Broadcasting 101.

Thanks for checking in at my place, been busy at work for a change. Hope to post something over the weekend.

Ted D said...

Scotty Boy,

Games are 9-8-07 and 9-9-07, a Saturday and Sunday. We are leaving Sat morning and coming back Sunday night. Sat. game is a night game and Sun. is a day game. Get your plane ticket now:

John, thanks for stopping by: now that you brought it up, the Blue Jay announcers are pretty bad: however, if my memory is correct, I think I've only had to listen to them 3 or 4 times: for some reason, I get the NESN feed most of the time when they play the Blue Jays.

Tex said...

someone needs to hide my computer from me after a night of drinking. Scotty I dont like burning or fading away...for the record, Sam Adams doesnt mix well with a red-headed slut or a buttery nipple

Ted...when my hangover is done...ill read your blog

Christine E. said...

Holy Buckets Ted! Your list could be MY list...Those guys from the white Sox make me want to throw my TV RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW when then start that "he gone" nonsense..How can these type of people get jobs in broadcasting...

And do not even get me started on Tim Carver...

And I like your posts! You write good and relevant stuff--and don't sound like a gushing 12 year old...:-) And that is no offense to 12 year olds-its their job to gush-but not grown men and women...:-)

Hope you are well! 11 more days!

Ted D said...

Tex, it sounds like you had one more rough night. Or a good night and a rough morning! I hope you are feeling somewhat better by now! Your typing was, as always, hysterical even though I did not see it until this morning.

Hi Christine. Thank you for the compliment: I don't think I'm very good but I have a lot of fun with it. Plus all my family getting on here and ragging on me makes me laugh! Plus having people like Tex and you and Kaylee come on, even when kaylee is overloaded on caffine!

And yeah, the White Sox broadcasts are painful. Couple of games last year I just muted the tv: I could not take it. The only good part is when they are losing and Harrellson basically just shuts up for the rest of the game.

Just heard that the Sox are moving Papelbon back into the closer role.

This outa be interesting.

Ted D said...

John, did not mean to leave you out brother!

Tex said...

ok I did NOT know DirectV you have to have a phone line. NOW i have to figure out which phone service to get and get internet with. This business deal XtraInnings did is alot of trouble...but worth it.

Got me a lil brace for my thumb..and exercises to do. But good news is physical therapist says my thumb has almost half of range of motion so Im already well on my way to recovery

Ted...seriously...I wish I would forget about the computer when Im under the influence

Ted D said...

Congrats on the cast removal Tex. Sounds like you are well on your way to a full recovery. I'm glad for you.

And Tex, I'm just glad you made it home safe last night. You stay safe.

What do you think? Does Pap going to the pen make you think they'll make a serious run at Roger? I think they will: Warner is a sucker for happy endings like that, and Schill said on his blog yesterday responding to a question of would he move to the pen if Roger came? His anwer: "I'd sell ice cream to make that happen"!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Tex, I should keep my thought for the day to myself! Ask Ted I don't do part time friend, you get me 24/7 and all that comes with it.I will stick to baseball and speak when spoken to!

Tex said...

the question is "how" sweet they'd make the ice cream for Roger to return to Boston. I would hope for sentiments of that's where he started and all would be THE reason to return. However theres alot of bad feelings in Boston about him....although I recall reading that Roger and Debbie really loved living in Boston.

if roger returned...Id do about EVERYTHING to get a ticket to see him pitch in Fenway. Ive seen him in Yankee and MM...to see it in Fenway and since HE is THE reason Im a Sox fan...would be sprinkles on MY Ice Cream

Ted D said...

FTD man: How'd the first day of work go? Ready to fleece all them rich women outa there money in exchange for over priced pumpkins, plants, and flowers? I'm telling you, we need to establish an East Coast franchise! Matty and I would be more than happy to leave the fun filled world of furniture in our rear view mirrors!

Ted D said...

Can you imagine the scene before games Tex? With all the press there anyway, add the extra press for Dice-K, AND Roger back?

Manny's head will explode if that happens.

Tex said...

Scottie You just lost me at that comment "thought for the day"?

and if you think this gal gets offended if you want to give her a word to the wise....I dont....I welcome advice and help any ole time...specially from good people like ted's family.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

thats MR ftd to you. I am ready to whistle I'm your ice cream man stop me as your passing by.Tents up we will open next thur. But I still feel cheated I wont get to come to Market again. I can see you and corn husk workin it.

Ted D said...

Trust me, oat bran and I are NOT looking forward to it. I think Keith actually is.

Gonna go put the younguns to bed: be back around 9 or so.

KAYLEE said...

You know Scott i love your ramblings but could you stop using words that only space aliens and TEX understand and actually make sense sometimes?

KAYLEE said...

I suck at golf!I learned that the hard way today.Papelbon is closing ted that is the best thing I have heard all yesr:)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Kaylee, The simple answer is Tex and I have college degree, and you are 15. So if you need help understanding you just ask! I guess you could caddy. Ted how about a bedtime story.

KAYLEE said...

scott,I guess so but I did challenge the best high school golf player in the state!

Tex said...

ok ted I posted my last spring training blog...maybe I can get back to my philosophy blogging i started with.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

A challenge offffff shopping?

KAYLEE said...

No scott,of golfing I thought that is what you wer were talking about.

Ted D said...

Scotty, you got your bedtime story. Hope you like it. Tex, I'm on my way there. This blogging stuff makes my head hurt.

You heard from fiber all? I have not heard from him all day. Boy was supposed to call me tonight. Probably a full moon and he's out picking pine cones or something.

Tex, philosophise away: I could use the education.