CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

A Reminder to Red Sox Nation


See that guy over there? The one the other 24 guys have on their shoulders? That's Josh Beckett. You know, the number 2 starter on the 2007 World Series Champions: that Texas kid with the 95 mph heat and attitude to burn.

I know there is a lot of folks who are worried about this boy this year: I gotta admit, watching his head do a 360 as he watched gopher ball after gopher ball leave the yard last year was not a pretty picture. Think about it though: new league, his starting catcher missed a chunk of time, and his pitching coach had hip replacement surgery. And while I like Al Nipper as much as the next guy, let's face it: he ain't no Leo Mazzone. Well, neither is Leo these days for that matter, but we'll let that slide for now.

Three years ago this man went into Yankee Stadium, on three days rest, and COMPLETE GAMED the Yankees in Game 6 to win the World Series: At 23 years old. You think he was intimidated? Yeah: me neither.

This is the guy, who last year in SPRING FREAKING TRAINING started woofing at the much larger, much taller, and much scarier Ryan Howard for pimping after hitting a home run. He's not short in the confidence department.

I mention all this because it seems like people may be ready to hit the panic button: Schill looked, well, like he was 40 last night. I think it's just an aberration, but you never know: now the thought of Beckett being the stopper has got some feeling a little tense, to say the least.

16 wins: career high. Over 200 innings: career high. Made EVERY start: only Sox pitcher to do so last year. Pitched much better from August 1st on, and looked strong in ST. Also, he has seemingly grasped the concept of Tek = Good, Josh on his own = BAD.

Tomorrow night, Beckett gets the chance to right the ship: I think he's up to it. After all, he walked into hallowed ground 3 years ago and put his cleat right on the Bambino's throat.

I think he can handle the Kansas City Royals.

31 comments:

KAYLEE said...

Now that you remind me that I may not be so harsh on Beckett now:) I might believe in him til he proves me wrong:)

oh god I must be rally "drugged" up if i am saying this.

KAYLEE said...

By the way hope he pitches great tomorrwo and gets us our first win:)

Ted D said...

Kaylee,

Go. To. Bed.

Trust me. You need the rest.

And I hope you had a better day today.

KAYLEE said...

TED,I should take that advice.Considering that I have to get up at 4:30 am.I had a much better day today:)

Ted D said...

Good to hear.

Now,

GO TO BED!

KAYLEE said...

haha TED you are so trying to get rid of me aint you?!

Ted D said...

No Kaylee: I just think that someone who just had something very sad happen, combined with root canal surgery, probably could use some sleep.

But that's just me.

KAYLEE said...

Yeah i know but Its fun to pick on you guys:)

KAYLEE said...

its only 8 here you know I will go to bed within the next halff hour!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ted Im with you BUT I have a thing about winners setting the right tone right out of the gate. Knock the wind out of the opponent. KC for the love of money. They suck. Atleast they did!

KAYLEE said...

Mr bandwagon jumper: KC still does .We aint gunna win every game you know.

Ted D said...

Bub,

Not making excuses: Schilling looked ROUGH yesterday. I have no idea what was going on there. I'm just saying that Beckett will go out tomorrow and shut them down.

And the Royals, with a Gold Glover at 2B, a A-Rod wanna be at 3rd, and decent pitching: well, they ain't your Grandpa's Royals.

The Red Sox should still kill 'em, but they are halfway decent. Remember now, Boomer Sooner, there are 162 games.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

MY POINT BUT SEND THE RIGHT MESSAGE. WE are kicking butt and signing autographs in oct.

KAYLEE said...

SCOTT,I would love that:) and nothing less key is too stay healthy.I want the mets to be around in october too they are 2-0 against the WORLD CHAMPS!

Ted D said...

Bub, if Schilling can't find the strike zone, and they are teeing off, what in the great wide world of sports do you want me to do?

My man had an off day: what can I say.

Like Kaylee said, they can't win them all. Barry Zito. he of the $130 million dollar contract, got beat today. It's baseball: what else can I add?

Tex said...

\\Schill looked, well, like he was 40 last night. //

HEY!!!! 40 aint OLD!!!!

Lets hand the ball to a Texan....and he'll Git Er Dun!!

KAYLEE said...

Umm over 30 is old tex!

KAYLEE said...

AND i dont just mean for ball players:)

Tex said...

kaylee you and me...gonna go round and round.

you wont think that once you're 30

Tree Newt said...

Kaylee, believe me, 30 ain't old. You'll be that old before you know it. Heck, Scotty's almost FIFTY!!!! Now THAT'S old.

Ted D said...

Matt, You are risking a fist upside your head from Tex: she is close to that age.

Tex, just so we are clear: that was MATTIE who said that, not me.

Besides Matt, 40 is the new 30, haven't you heard?

Stacy said...

Great post, little brother. Hope Beckett has a great game. I'm with you; Schill had a bad game. Happens to them all every once in a while. Let's leave his age out of it!:)

I have heard that 40 is the new 30, which is music to my ears. I would not want to go through my 30's again. Scotty might, being he's the flip-flop wearing, guitar playing,highlight wearing, plant selling man that he is.:) He could pull it off, but not me.

KAYLEE said...

//kaylee you and me...gonna go round and round.//

BRing it on......I can beat any one of you atanything except a spelling challenge or a grammer challenge:)

KAYLEE said...

I am trying a medicationless day to see if I can stay awake the whole game tonight:)

Tex said...

as far as Im concerned...50 is the new 30

Ted D said...

Tex, good to hear from you: I guess you dodged all the tornados last night. That't the one thing I don't miss about Oklahoma.

Did they hook your DirecTV up yet?

Tex said...

ted with my travel schedule i had to wait to hook it up upon my return...so tuesday it gets hooked up.

and tell Matty to bring lots of bills to Baltimore...he's got some sucking up to do

chicklets said...

are you there?

chicklets said...

Hello ted, this is Myrtle. We have been real busy quilting. We could really use your help. My nephew Chester's son BJ just loves the White Sox. We want to get him one of those baseball sweaters all the boys wear with the players name on the back. I sent Mildred to the store to try and find one, but she says there are no sweaters with Big Mami, Minny, or Terk on the back. Are these players on the A team or the B team?

Please send us a telegram.

Ted D said...

Scotty,

Did you date either of these pretty young ladies? 'Cause they seem your type.

Myrtle, just keep looking: you'll find 'em.

And whoever this is is KILLING me! :)

Ted D said...

Sorry Tex: I'll tell him to come fully loaded. And he's good at sucking up: he's married too you know.