CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 21, 2007

You don't mess with Texas

*Photo from the Boston Globe*

Go ahead and tip your cap, Josh: you deserve it. On a day when it was obvious he didn't have his best stuff and the cold realization set in that the Red Sox weren't playing the Royals or the Mariners anymore, Josh Beckett proved that he is now, finally, a PITCHER.

Not just a hard thrower anymore, Beckett showed everyone today that he's figured out that it takes more than blowing a 98 mph heater by a guy to get the job done.

6.2 IP, 9H, 5R, 4ER, 2BB, 7K. That's Beckett's line for today. Not as pretty as his first 3 games, but it was enough: he's 4-0 for the year, and they are getting the brooms out just in case in Boston. After giving up 2 runs in each of the first two innings, Beckett settled down and retired 10 of the next 12 Yankees he faced.

So far this year, the Sox seem to be the kind of team that's not gonna roll over and die when the chips are down: today they answered the Yankee punches with their own, plating 2 runs in the 1st and 2 more in the second. Papi hit his 6th dinger of the year for 2 of the 3 runs they scored after that, and Okajima and Timlin each pitched 2/3 of an inning worth of hit less, scoreless work.

9th inning? Who else: The Papelbot. Came in, got Damon to ground out and then walked Cabrera. I think he does this on purpose, much like a cat toying with a mouse: gives 'em a sense of false hope. He promptly struck out Jeter on a 98 mph heater, then got Abreu to fly out to win the game.

I had to stuff cotton balls in my ears due to McCarver and Buck rambling on and on about Arod, and at one point was close to asking Ciera to jab my ear with a steak knife because it would have hurt less, but made it through somehow. Thinking about Joe Morgan tomorrow night, wearing his pinstriped suit, has got me feeling a bit queasy as well. It's all good though: we beat the Yankees again today.

Sun was shining, birds were singing, and Beckett is 4-0.

Life is good.

PS: The title today is dedicated to Tex, who finally got to see her boy pitch today: You brought him some good luck Texas.

37 comments:

Tex said...

The stars at night,
Are big and bright,
Deep in the heart of Texas,
The prairie sky
Is wide and high,
Deep in the heart of Texas.
The sage in bloom
Is like perfume,
Deep in the heart of Texas,
Reminds me of,
The one I love,
Deep in the heart of Texas.

The coyotes wail,
Along the trail,
Deep in the heart of Texas,
The rabbits rush,
Around the brush,
Deep in the heart of Texas.
The cowboys cry,
"Ki-yip-pee-yi,"
Deep in the heart of Texas,
The dogies bawl,
And bawl and bawl,
Deep in the heart of Texas

Thanks Ted...you made me smile REALLY BIG!!!

KAYLEE said...

No,i am not here to bash the texan guy right now i am here to praise him.he deserved that win and got it.It wasnt his best outing but,I am happy he got the win.I am starting to hink this guy is for real if he can pitch like that and beat the yankees:-)

KAYLEE said...

hink=think I dont know where my brain is at the moment.

Ted D said...

Tex, you are more than welcome. The fact you make me smile with what you say on a daily basis means I owe you a bunch more! This blog got started because of you, so I've gotta give you your props. Oat Bran and I can't wait to meet you in Baltimore.

Kaylee, glad you seem to be coming around. I think Beckett is really learning from Schilling: Schill coming back for the 7th last night was huge, because it kept Tito from going to the pen too early. Beckett, albeit winning today, did the same: good stuff.

Tex said...

kaylee have FAITH in Beckett. I do. and it really has nothing to do with the fact he and I are both from Texas.

KAYLEE said...

TEX and Ted,
I am slowing begining to have faith in him.If he is learning for schill than I like what schill is teaching him:-)

Ted D said...

Kaylee, this guy went into Yankee Stadium as a 23 year old kid and won the deciding game in the World Series: he's got the stuff. It just seems like he's finally putting it all together.

If Johan Santana falters at all this year, he coud easily win the Cy Young.

And you heard it here first. :)

KAYLEE said...

i dont doubt this guy could win a cy young some day.

Tex said...

and I have a Josh Beckett signed ball btw!! I got it at the charity event i attended at Spring Training

:)

KAYLEE said...

my mother cant bbelieve what i am saying about beckett tonight.IT ALL true but,try telling her that.AND she wont believe it after the bashing i have given him for the last 2 years.

Ted D said...

Tex, that is awesome.

You know, I've got a birthday coming up next month: I'm just sayin' is all. ;)

KAYLEE said...

i have a jersey signed by him it was given top me but.I do-)

KAYLEE said...

top=to i cant spell right tonight.

Tex said...

Ted when's your bd?

Ted D said...

May 23 Tex. I'll be the ripe old age of 37.

On the plus side, my mother-in-law is getting me Papi's book, so I've got that to look forward too.

Ted D said...

Oh yeah, did I tell you guys that Baby Trot said his first word this week?

Not Dad or Mom, but "light". Boy loves ceiling fans! He's also nodding his head yes when you ask him something, and waving his hand "bye bye".

Very cute.

KAYLEE said...

ahhh at least he said something my brother loves to look at lights to he will sit there for hours looking at them:-)

Tex said...

oh last night after the volleyball and watching the game...we went out. We were sitting there talking to our bartender who looked rather young...anyway..he seemed NOT the bartender type. So we started asking him questions. turns out he works as investment broker at Schwab..his friend owns the bar and he bartends for fun. SO we're talking to him and all...about dating guys and how I usually date younger guys...so I make him guess how old I am...he says 38...I laugh and say not guess seriously...he says he is. I laugh and tell him Im 48...the look on his face was priceless and he gave me a hug...I tell ya 50 is going to be the new 40 for me!!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

yellow everbody. Well Ted I hope you were able to take it easy on the malox today. Long day in the world of sales. But all the blond hair blue eyed mercedes driving plant buying NUTS were out in full force.

KAYLEE said...

TRot likes to nod his head yes?My brother is the opposite its always no for him:-)Okay I have to go him he is mad I pur him in the crib when he wasnt sleeping abviously either that or he is hungry.

Tex said...

what?? Trot didn't say papi? or manny? or Trot?? :)

KAYLEE said...

oh dont get me started on you SCOtt.

Tex said...

ok kids I got to hit the hay. I have a day road trip to make in the morning. and gotta get back in time for the game :)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Kaylee, untill you can put one sentence together, that makes sence. Don't call me I will call you!

Ted D said...

BUB!

Glad the fleecing went well.

It was a gut buster Scotty, but RSN is celebrating tonight: 7-5 and a record of 11-5.

Life is good.

Ted D said...

Night Tex. See you tomorrow.

KAYLEE said...

SCOTT:my sentences make perfect sense to me.I just cant spell. thats how you spell SENSE by th e way.

KAYLEE said...

AND they obviously make sense to ted and tex or they wouldnt be responding to my comments.

KAYLEE said...

i am going to bed soon:-)

KAYLEE said...

goodnight.

Christine E. said...

Whoo Hoo!

Hello of a game....did not see all of it as I was out, but the 9th inning...I think you are right Tex, Papelbon does that stuff to toy with them--although he did not seem as sharp as I have seen him..:-)

Glad for Beckett--Glad for the Sox, Glad for Red Sox Nation!

Hope everyone is well...

Go Sox!

KAYLEE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KAYLEE said...

at least you saw the end christine:-)

Stacy said...

Great win...can't watch an entire game straight,though. Too much anxiety. Beckett struck out the "fabulous" A-Rod, so he did ok in my book.

KAYLEE said...

//can't watch an entire game straight,though. Too much anxiety//


Sounds like me I watch about 2/3 iorf every game:-)

KAYLEE said...

I went to the mlorning service so I can wwatch the game tonight:-)

HorshamScouse said...

//much like a cat toying with a mouse: gives 'em a sense of false hope.//
Odd how the same thought struck me about walking Abreu to challenge Arod in Sunday's game.