CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 28, 2007

One

*Picture from the Boston Globe*

"One love
One blood
One life You got to do what you should
One life With each other
Sisters Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to Carry each other
Carry each other" (courtesy of U2)

One game. After a long off season spent wishing things would have gone differently in '05, chasing Daisuke over the off season, and the JD Drew saga, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

After wondering who our closer would be for most of the Spring, then screaming for joy when Papelbon went to Tito and said he wanted the ball in the ninth, it's almost over.

After 160 games and nearly 6 months of every day baseball, the post season is upon us: and all we need is one. One game, either a Sox win or a Yankees loss, and for the first time in 12 years, the Red Sox will be the AL East Champions. As I type this, it's 9-6 Yankees over Baltimore in the bottom of the ninth, so it looks like we may have to wait until tomorrow for the celebration.

If we do, it's all right with me: because Tim Wakefield takes the mound for the Sox on Saturday. And I can't think of a scene with more poetic justice than Timmeh getting the division clinching win: this is a guy who has been here since the last time the Sox won the division in 1995. Who has done anything the club has asked of him: starting, closing, long relief in the 'pen, whatever.

Carry us into October Wake.

How epic would that be?

NOTE: I'M an idiot: the Sox clinch the AL East, thanks to a bunt by Melvin Mora. Melvin, if I ever have another son, he'll be named after you. What a night: for the first time since 1995, the Red Sox are the AL East Champions. I. Am. Spent.

18 comments:

JMP said...

O's nail the MFY in the 10th!!!!
We have the Division !!!!!
CHEERS~~~!!!!!

Life is sooo sweet!!!

~**Dawn**~ said...

OMG!!!!

Just... OMG!!!

Ted D said...

WOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

AL EAST DIVISION CHAMPS!!!

I'm speechless.

JMP said...

Good thing I do not have a drum because its 11:28 pm and I would be out in the street banging like no tomorrow!!!

Ted D said...

I woke up the wife, the 3 year old, and the 18 month old: screw it. It was worth it!

AL East CHAMPIONS!!!!!

JMP said...

I'm bummed.. I can't wake my 11 year old son. Soccer game kicks off at 8:30 am. He is my primary goalie. He needs his rest.
For the past 2 week, every day he sits me down and from memory gives me the standing in both the AL add NL and the clinch numbers.
He is really becoming a die hard Sox fan like his old man..poor kid!!!
HAHA
He has a Big Papi jersey with the picture of Papi swinging his bat on the back. He is so proud of that shirt. I bet 50 years from now he will still have it.
Can't wait to tell him in the am!

Ted D said...

jmp, glad to hear you are raising the young ones the same way I am: what a night: for the first time since I was in my 20's, the Sox win the division: what a historic night.

Mine are a little too young: the post season is fair game though.

gojohn said...

We are the champs!!!!

Ted D said...

John,

You got that right!

JMP said...

I am so wired!!! I wont sleep for days!!!

JMP said...

Ted,
Check out NESN.COM . They have the Sox's celebrating at Fenway!

HorshamScouse said...

Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Christine E. said...

I am still STAGGERED about how it all went down last night

But SO relived!

Whoo Hoo! Peace and quiet from the Yankee Fans for a while

Hope everyone is well...

Go Sox!

HorshamScouse said...

//Carry us into September Wake.//
You really were out of it last night!:)
Wake's lap of honour today and Curt to round off the season, then on to October.

Ted D said...

Christine, me either: I had to start my semi annual trade show today and instead of focusing on my sales meetings I was thinking about last night!

Horsham, you are my own story editor! I'm gonna go fix that: thanks for the heads up. I was typing that after we won while the Yankee game was going on, and was watching NESN out of the corner of my eye!

KAYLEE said...

THATS OKAY I AM GLAD WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!:P

beckperson said...

So good, so good, so GOOD!

:high fives Ted:

:)

Ted D said...

::high fives becks::

We DID it BECKS!!!!