CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween and a Special Birthday

Took the all the kids trick or treating for the first time tonight: our church always has a carnival where there are games, rides, horses, mouse trap mazes, etc.. but this year it's taking a break.

So off we went through the neighborhood.

Hoo boy: you haven't lived until you've taken a 4 year old with ADD dressed as Bibleman, a 9 year old Hannah Montana with leadership qualities usually associated with Marine Corp Drill Sergeant, and a 19 month old demented Woody the Cowboy.

Here they are with my in laws right before heading out: in the smartest decision of the night, my Mother and Father-In-Law went home RIGHT after this picture was taken.

Besides all the cars driving through the neighborhood, candy being consumed, and them typically being 4.7 houses ahead of me at all times, I'd say it all went pretty well.

About the only thing I can compare tonight to is this: have you ever tried to wrangle 3 hyperactive sheep into a straight line and into a chute at the same time, all the while dodging charging bulls (cars), a herd of angry goats (all the other kids out at the same time), and the farmer from the spread next door (your Atlanta Braves loving neighbor wanting to debate the merits of the Edgar Renteria trade with you while you are desperately trying to keep your 4 year old wielding a sword from taking on a SUV in hand to hand combat) wanting to talk shop?

In no particular order, I need a stiff drink, 15 Valium, and a week long stay at a "mental health facility".

On the plus side, the kids had a ball, got enough candy to last through a nuclear winter, and went to bed with a smile on their faces. So I guess you could consider it a success.

Finally, I don't know if she'll see it or not, and it doesn't matter if she does: I've got to wish my adopted sister from a different mother, Tex, a very happy birthday today. This weekend she's flying to Boston to celebrate in style, and I wish I could tell her in person, but I hope it's the best birthday she's ever had.

She's responsible for helping me get this blog off the ground (so blame her for the train wreck). She's also responsible for helping me try and understand my wife better, for helping me remember it's OK to laugh at yourself, and for giving me COUNTLESS stories I can tell to my friends and family.

I hope you had a VERY happy birthday, Tex. Your friendship, advice, and insults mean more to me than you'll probably ever know: thanks for putting up with your obnoxious "little brother".

You be careful out there.

18 comments:

Tex said...

Looks like a fun time ya had Ted. First time in a very long time I decided to lay low for my birthday night. I figured I'd better save up my energy for this weekend.

wish i could say today was a great day but id be lying. Had to deal with internal employee issues...then drive back to austin from ft worth area. So your post to me made a good ending to a bad day :) Thanks! (aint too many people who can make me cry dangit)

Ted D said...

Aw, I made Tex cry: was NOT intentional, I promise. Just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday and to let you know how much you being my friend means to me.

I hope you have a great weekend in Boston: and go easy on JET: she's a tender soul!

Sorry you had such a crappy day, and I hope I at least made you smile, just a little bit.

Tex said...

Ted you either make me smile or laugh. Always.

Ted D said...

Good to hear, Tex.

'Cause I never know!

So, how does turning 25 feel?

Tex said...

at what age do you actually have to act your age? :)

Ted D said...

I'm thinking 83, Tex.

But that's just a guess.

Tex said...

sounds good to me. so the boys i date by that time will just be retiring :)

Anonymous said...

We were thinking of the Carnival this year and wondered if you went. Please let little Hannah Montana know that my little Adrian of the Cheetah girls, her dog and I went out this evening.

Happy Birthday Tex! Have fun in Boston.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Three hyperactive sheep. LOL! You have such a way with imagery!

Stacy said...

Happy Birthday, Tex!

Glad the kids had fun begging for candy. Rakie will be hyped up for the next 6 months!

What's the word on Lowell? Anything yet?

Ted D said...

Denise, I'll be sure and tell Ciera about your cheetah girl.

Dawn, trust me, if you knew these kids, life is an adventure on a really crooked highway.

Stacy, no word on Lowell. They have 10 days to exclusively talk to him, then he's free to talk to anyone else.

::crosses fingers::

Tree Newt said...

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TEX!!

Second, I caught up on my RSD reading, and little bro, they were all good. I loved the "Family" blog...good stuff. You have a gift, whether you want to admit it or not. You make us laugh, and that's a good thing.

And the Halloween post was CLASSIC. Good stuff, all around.

Ted D said...

I have a gift? Who knew?

Thanks corn nut: it keeps me off the heavy meds, so it's serving it's purpose.

Tree Newt said...

As long as you're still on the light to medium meds, I'm cool with it.

Ted D said...

When you say light to medium meds, how specific are you being?

This is important.

Tree Newt said...

Just go hug a tree...you'll feel better.

Speaking of...new acorn at the Perch.

Ted D said...

It's late.

I'm tired.

And I don't have my hip waders.

Am I ready for a new post from you?

::contemplates::

Redbeard76 said...

Good times, Ted. I can't wait until my little one is more active, but then again, is that really what I want? LOL - It's so much easier pushing her in a stroller everywhere (19 months on Tuesday).