CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Key's to Victory. Or Just One Idiot's Rant.

Yeah: they look stressed about being down 3 games to 1, don't they? Manny being Manny, and Beckett looking, well, bemused is the best I can come up with.

For the Red Sox to play a game 6 on Saturday, my limited intelligence has come up with the following.

Josh Beckett needs a reminder he is the Commander of the Kick A** Brigade and bring his A game. Nothing less will do. We need at least 7 innings of fastballs that top out at 98 mph, curve balls that fall off the table, at least 3 FYYO, and at a minimum, 1 busted water cooler.

Manny and Papi need to continue treating each AB like batting practice: HR's, doubles off the wall, and random pointing of fingers and goofy hand shakes. And in Manny's case, if you hit a Home Run, nothing less than 15 seconds of admiring said shot will be accepted: if they don't like it, tell 'em not to throw it where you can hit it.

For Mike Lowell: continue what you've been doing, sir. Great defense, a few doubles to the gap, and if it's not too much trouble. a 3 run HR.

JD, Tek, Coco, and Lugo: I'm not asking for the moon. Just a few timely hits here and there, with the random stolen base snuck in between, and the occasional clutch play on defense. I'm not going to go crazy: just pitch in where you can.

Youk: keep on keeping on, brother. You've been a rock all year and in the post season. Don't change a thing.

Munchkin: you are my role model and my hero: candaon and I look up to you. Literally. You are the Rookie of the Year: quit pressing and act like it. OK?

Tito: on the off chance you get a "hunch" to bring in Gagne? Just fight that feeling off like it was Joe Torre shooting for your job: take a look out at that bullpen. You see that guy that looks like he'd take your head off with a pair of rusty pliers and some WD40? That's Mike Timlin: he'll do just fine.

And if you're tempted to go with the Baseball 101 book and bring Lopez in to face a lefty? Give yourself a good hard shot to the marbles, throw that idea out the rear view window, and bring in Okajimer: sure his arm is tired and he needs some rest. That's what the off season is for.

Jonathon Papelbon. I've seen your work: it's quality stuff. Be in your managers office, sitting in his chair and drinking his coffee when he arrives at the park tomorrow. Tell him you are ready to throw the 7th, 8th, and 9th inning if needed. You are 26 years old, full of piss and vinegar, and recently paraded around Fenway Park with a Bud Light box on your head: I think you can handle a few innings extra of work.

Because this is it fellas: lose tomorrow, and you go home. For 6 LONG months. You don't want that any more than I do. If we win tomorrow, you get to go back to Fenway and Curt Freaking Schilling gets a shot at redemption.

Does anyone in their right mind not think Schilling would KILL for this opportunity? He of the bloody sock, the "nothing would make me happier to make 50,000 people shut up" quote, and never met a camera he didn't like wouldn't rise to the occasion?

After that, it's game 7. To paraphrase Kevin Millar: "Who knows what would happen in Game 7?"

Yeah: it's a crazy plan. But it just may be crazy enough to work.

29 comments:

Tex said...

Excellent Post. I'd say Beckett and Manny are watching Paps fondle Sabathia's junk to distract him which is why they're both steering clear.

Beckett needs no reminder...he knows Believe me...he knows.

Tomorrow will give us smiles. I believe in this team. I'm there till the end. Some guys in warpaint ain't gonna skeer me now.

Ted D said...

There is the Tex I know and love. No warpaint for you.

Tomorrow will be a great day for RSN: I believe.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious. Do you still blog when there's no MLB? What do you do when there is no baseball? Hockey anyone? How 'bout them Hurricanes?

gojohn said...

I like tonight's matchup.. Ellsbury need to sub for either Coco or Drew.

One thing is certain - I am NEVER confident with Drew at the plate or Gagne on the mound

Ted D said...

Denise, no, it's pretty much baseball/family year round. I didn't start the blog until December last year, so only had 3 months or so to fill: this winter may be harder.

John, I go back and forth on Ellsbury starting tonight, only because Sabbathia is a lefty. I'm pretty sure Kielty is starting in RF tonight with Drew sitting, so theres at least one of your wishes.

My stomach hurts and it's still about 3 hours away.

JMP said...

Ted.
Heres to the Sox gobsmacking ( Ramsey speak ) the tribe!!!
BLIMEY, ROT THE BUGGARS!!!

GO SOX!!!

beckperson said...

I'm sorry, but I'm sick to death of the second-guessing regarding Tito. The man has done NOTHING but succeed for four freakin' years. I think he knows a little something about managing.

/rant

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

jmp, time for the boys to show some bollocks, right?

Becks, hope you didn't think I was blasting Tito: I was just pathetically attempting to be funny: I do that when I'm nervous. ;)

GO SOX!!!

beckperson said...

No, Ted, I've been on edge all day, I guess, and a little thin-skinned regarding this Ellsbury thing. Yeah, I think a spark is needed...but I think it's going to take a bit more than one rookie to pull this out.

But, fair is kept...and I'll be sitting in the car with you tonight.

JMP said...

Ted,
Very big bullocks at that.

Did you hear that Torre walked away from a 1 year deal? 5 million plus 1 million extra for each level he took the team during post season. And a WS win in 2008 would have netted him a 2009 contract of 8 Million.. and he did not take it!!!!
Just goes to show that as I stated earlier, the whole firing thing was a scam and he was going to retire anyway.

Ted D said...

Becks, gotcha: like I said, I don't think Tito would start Ellsbury with a lefty pitching. Plenty of room in the car! Especially for my buddy.

jmp, saw that and good for Torre. Makes me kind of sick how they just left him twisting in the wind while they came up with that magnanimous offer: idiots.

Tex said...

Ted you need to tell edgeofdesign that during Hot Stove...there's still lots to talk about baseball :)

Ted D said...

She's from Canada Tex: hockey fan and all!!

JMP said...

Ted,
Did you get to see that little blurb from Millar on FOX??
IT was GREAT!!!
COWBOY UP!!!!
He is one dude you really want to party with!!!

Ted D said...

jmp, getting the kids ready for bed: missed it. Hopefully they'll show it again.

Tree Newt said...

Take it easy on my fellow hockey fan. And EOD: HOW 'BOUT THEM CANES!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

IF Manny would get a uniform like a baseball player and not a japanese house boy I think it would help convince him to SLIDE on occasion.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Mattie Hockey, there we go.I am thinking about coming out of retirement and playing on a over 20 team.

Tree Newt said...

Did you mean to type "over 50." I know that, at your age, with your eyesight, a 2 and a 5 look mighty similar.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Dummy , I'm talking about the number of players on the ice at one time!

Ted D said...

Bub, Manny was 5 feet from home plate. So we criticize him for hustling home and not sliding, and criticize him for not running on a obvious HR?

Manny, just go back to not talking.

2-1 and Beckett is dealing.

Tree Newt said...

Bub: yeah, right.

Jr., I can't bear to watch. But I'll have you know, I represented at the fair yesterday. I had quite a few RS fans ask me about our chances, and I stood up for the boys. Just so you'll know.

Ted D said...

Glad you sacked up while taking the day off: it sort of balances out. :)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

You having a conversation about baseball at the fair. How many of these carnies had teeth?

Ted D said...

Youk just TRIPLED! Pedie scores and it's 3-1 Sox. Bub, you best put that Indians hat back in the closet for a few days.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Jr that was not hustle. That was, Ok go on yellow ,stop on green no I mean slow on yellow and yield on red no I mean Oh what the heck theres always next year.

Ted D said...

Bub, he ran because Demarlo Hale said run: plain and simple.

He's the same player now he was 15 years ago: this can't be a shock to you now.

Tex said...

BecKKKKKKKKKett Rocks

Ted D said...

I heard you Tex.

JPB.