CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

You know I'm gonna be like him.

"I'm having chest pains and they are taking me to the Hospital".

Words you never want to hear under normal circumstances, even worse when it's your 72 year old Dad saying them to you.

Pop had a heart attack 2 years ago June, and in September of '05 had quintuple bypass surgery. So when he says the magic words "chest pain" and "hospital" your adrenalin kicks into overdrive.

Good news? The doctors are 99.9% sure it's nothing wrong with his heart. Most likely it's due to running around like a mental patient for the last 2 weeks, not getting enough rest, and being a workaholic.

This morning, we're pretty sure the 4 am wake up to go to the gym, a sausage biscuit and a cup of coffee (a no no for someone who's had a heart attack) and forgetting to remember to bring a nitroglycerin pill with him didn't exactly do wonders for his condition.

Now, even though the doctors are relatively sure nothing is wrong, Dad has convinced himself he needs to have a cauterization just so he can know for sure. Granted, he's a grown man and I'm not gonna change his mind, but for some reason I just have a problem with a man his age going under anesthesia when it's not actually necessary. I guess I'm just funny that way.

::sigh::

One of these days I'll be worrying my boys (and girl) the same way my Pop worries me, I'm sure. I'm not exactly known in the family as being the most healthy of men, and try to avoid doctors and hospitals like the plague.

I really need some baseball to take my mind off of Dad, the market, the stress, and real life. Of course, if this off season is anything like the past few the Red Sox have been in, Pop and I may be sharing a room in the cardiac unit.

Late addition: I fear I've passed on my Red Sox obsession already. As I was putting Ciera to bed, she asked me if Manny was going to be well enough to play in the postseason. She is nine. And a girl.

What in the name of all that is good and holy have I done? Not only to her, but her future husband? At least I can be pretty confident she won't marry a Yankee fan.

23 comments:

Nancy said...

Hang in there, Ted.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Hate to have heard all this news Ted. You know we have talked about this till we are all blue in the face. Your Dad is going to have to choose on his own to slow down.

A little beat down myself. WE brought in 45 bins of big pumpkins 45 pumpkins in each bin. The help wasn't real thrilled.

Ted D said...

Thanks Nancy, I am. By my fingernails, but I am.

Scotty, yep: you are absolutely correct. Today is the first time I've gotten angry at him, and it was like in one ear and out the other. Now I know how HE felt all these years.

45 bins, 45 pumpkins in EACH bin: I'm not a math wizard, but that is a crapload of pumpkins. If I were your help, I'd demand a raise.

~**Dawn**~ said...

It's scary to worry about your parents. My dad nearly died seven years ago, and it's not something I have ever forgotten. I'll keep you all in my thoughts.

Ted D said...

Dawn, thanks for the kind words.

Glad to hear your Dad made it through, and I really appreciate the positive thoughts.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I just saw the addendum to your blog post. Nothing wrong with a girl being Sox obsessed. Nothing wrong at all. ;-)

Ted D said...

I agree Dawn: the more I think about this, the better I feel. If she loves the Red Sox half as much as her Dad, I'm going to weed out the riff raff in record time.

There is no way a Sox fan will put up with a band wagon jumping Yankee fan. I may have stumbled onto something the parenting books don't teach.

I smell a NY Times best seller.

HorshamScouse said...

PVs and good thoughts to your Dad, Ted.

Ciera a Sox fan: wonder where that came from:) Hope it lasts. Incidently, is it Ciera like Sierra or like Kiera Knightly?..

Ted D said...

Thanks for the well wishes Horsham. Dad came through just fine, and they found no damage to his heart, etc.. so it all was either stress induced or imagined: not sure which but either way he's good. Now maybe I can relax.

And it's Ciera like Sierra Horsham: hope things are well in NZ. Are you on your holiday yet?

HorshamScouse said...

Great news Ted.

Not on hoilday just yet. Starts Saturday (my time) after game 2. I'm taking what the locals call a tiki tour around the South Island. Pics and video of the glaciers will follow.

Stacy said...

Too cute that Ciera was asking about Manny. She's probably trying to figure out the starting lineup. :)

Now you know what WE feel like when we talk to you about your health "Mr. In One Ear and Out The Other." :P

Christine E. said...

Evening everyone:

I am so sorry your dad is giving you fits--but parents do that...my Dad does the same thing to me...

There is NOTHING wrong with being a girl...and a Red Sox fan...:-)

Happy 1st day of the postseason!

Game time! And I am off to rehearsal until 9-ARGH!

Go Sox!

Ted D said...

John, thanks for the good thoughts. I'll be looking for the video's on YouTube in bout a month.

Stacy, you can't possibly be talking about me.

Hi Christine: I'm as nervous as I'd be if this were a World Series game: Beckett allows a single to Figgins in the first and that is it. Headed to the bottom of the first, 0-0.

And who schedules rehearsals on opening night of the playoffs? ;)

JET said...

Hey Tedders, cool new header image on the site.

So glad your dad is OK!

We're winning 4-0. We rock! We gonna win!

'FYYO!', says Josh.

JET said...

Hey, with your image of Papi and mine of James Earl Jones, one would think we were two rather robust AfAm men. :D

Ted D said...

Thanks JET. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the writing in the flag to show up better. Sounds like a good thing for the winter!

Thanks for the well wishes for Pop: just stinks watching them get older.

And yes: we do rock!

Ted D said...

LOL JET!!!

Had not thought about that!

JET said...

//Sounds like a good thing for the winter!//
That and our reliving our World Series win ad nauseum. :)


//just stinks watching them get older.//
Sure does. :(

//we do rock!//
Sure do! :)

Ted D said...

JET, I have to say, watching my '04 World Series DVD never gets old. I'm sure '07 would be no different!

JET said...

What does Trot have in his hand? Looks like a ginormous black olive.

Ted D said...

JET, I think it's my key fob thingamajimmie. Though a ginormious black olive may still be the right answer.

What a great game by Beckett.

1-0. I smell a sweep.

JMP said...

Hey Ted,
Sweet game by Beckett, eh?
Nice early batting by the sox!

Beckett was so smooth tonight.. a real pleasure to watch

Great way to start the post season.

Ted D said...

jmp,

You could not have asked for a better start to the post season than what we got tonight.

Beckett just cruised: he pitches like that, nobody can beat him.

1 down, 10 to go.