CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Blessed

Even though the day started off with Rakes getting up at 6 in the morning, today turned out to be a fairly normal Thanksgiving Day. Well, normal is relative: nobody got a whipping, nothing was set on fire, and Trot only climbed onto the counter top around 20 times.

We ate lunch at the in-laws, got the boys down for what turned out to be a 2 1/2 hour nap for them and Ang and peace and quiet for me.

All the inside and outside lights and garland was put up, which is not the easiest thing to do with 3 kids running outside every 7.3 seconds wanting to know if you're done, how much longer, and what's for dinner.

As I type this, Trot is asleep and Angie, Ciera, and Rakes are putting the lights on the Christmas tree: so far only a few minor skirmishes, 3 shouts of "It's MY turn" and only 2 threats by Angie of bodily harm. MY job is finished: everything down from the attic and all the outside stuff finished. I can just sit back and watch the insanity unfold.

In the past, Thanksgiving has just been another day: this year, with Mom's cancer, it takes on a little more meaning. I've got both my parents still with me, a beautiful wife, and three little monsters who mean the world to me. I've got a roof over my head, food in the pantry, and other than the mental part, I'm relatively healthy.

For me, that's enough.

Here's to hoping that if you happen to stumble by and read this post, that you thought of something you're thankful for today.

'Cause I know I did.

Happy Thanksgiving.

14 comments:

Tree Newt said...

Wow...bro, I'm proud of you. That was almost deep. You do have a lot to be thankful for, as do I. Believe it or not, I'm thankful for you, little bro.

Ted D said...

Almost deep: Just what I was shooting for.

I love you too, man.

Even if you are a dink.

Tex said...

a very special thanksgiving today with my son and family. Im pooped. Great Pic of the family Ted. PVs and prayers being sent your way still. My niece is trying to talk me into going christmas shopping at 4am in the morning..unless im cloned, it'll take a team of wild horses and bulls to get me out of bed to shop at 4am.

Ted D said...

Thanks, Tex.

And if that were my niece, she's have been drawn and quartered.

Who in thier right mind gets up at 4 am? :)

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Tree Newt said...

I think anyone that gets up that early to shop has a BIG problem. BIG.

beckperson said...

Ted, I don't know where/how your family gets all the Christmas spirit in NOVEMBER! What will you do for the next four weeks? Clearly you don't have a real tree?? What - you don't like picking pine needles out of the carpet until July?

I'm thinking of skipping decorating this year. It just seems like too much work. It's such a rebellious thought, don't you think?

Ted D said...

Mattie, I agree. I didn't even know there was a 4 a.m.

I thought that was a daytime issue.

Becks, glad to see you back commenting. Sadly, 4 of my neighbors have had Christmas stuff up for a week. We've always put our Christmas stuff up around Thanksgiving.

And you are correct: no real tree this year for the first time in 12 years. Trot is a tad aggressive with everything: we just figured we'd wait until next year for that battle: artificial it is this time.

Even with the fake tree, my floor cleaning will take 3 times as long on Sat. How they can make a fake tree shed is beyond me: somehow, they do.

Beth said...

Happy Day after Thanksgiving, Ted! Great photo - I know you're truly thankful for that crazy bunch. I'm envious that you've already decorated - like Beck, I'm waiting on the REAL tree!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Dude, is that Edward Sissorhands work on your head? I am sending 3 dollars in the mail go to the hairschool training center and get that fixed.

Ted D said...

Happy Day after Thanksgiving to you too, Beth! I'm a lucky man for sure. We didn't go the real tree route this year because the fake one is somehow shedding: Trot can't keep his hands off the thing.

Bub, hat hair. Remember, hat hair.

Tex said...

I have been using a fake tree since living in rentals just cos of accidents ive had in the past with real trees. I would like my rental deposits back. I do have a fake tree that looks real though. I used to put up the tree and lights the sunday after thanksgiving but since moving off from home..I do it the weekend after tday.

my niece has a HUGE problem. Thats why she calls herself a Princess.

Ted D said...

Tex, travel safe to Louisiana.

And yes, I'd say if your niece calls herself Princess, there may be an issue or two. ;)

HorshamScouse said...

Seems like you had a great time. Can't wait to see the Dalton Trio in person.

I'm thankful that the chest pains I had on Thursday morning turned out to be acid reflux/gut spasm and not angina/heart attack. If being terrified for two days can scare 30 pounds off me, I'm on my way:)

Ted D said...

Horsham, jeebus man, take care of yourself. VERY glad to hear it was just acid reflux.

I'll have 'em good and wound up by the time they get to meet you: you have to get the full experience!

Seriously, very glad it wasn't anything more serious.