CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Birthday Little Man

Has it been 4 years already? Seems like yesterday we brought Rakes home from the hospital, yet today marked his 4th birthday.

He told his Mom earlier this week he wanted to "do bowling and play dames".

So, that's exactly what we did: and I'm proud to say the boy bowled a 76, which beat his older sister by 5 points. Dad, however, rolled a 138.

Of course, this was with lane guards that prevented a gutter ball, so in all likelihood, I finished with a 68.

My God does time fly: my oldest son just turned 4: where did it all go? He's gone from a small, crying baby to a miniature version of me, right down to the thick head of hair and the attitude.

It's hard to convey in words what I'm feeling right now: my first born son just had a birthday. My Mom used to tell me that time flies once you have kids, and now I finally believe her. The last 9 years have gone by in what seems like 9 months.

As weird as that seems, even more weird for me is Rakes turning 4. He's my little man: even though he's still very little, 4 years old seems like a BIG age. As my kids grow older, I want time to slow down even more: I mean, how did I get to this point?

Even though it's been a roller coaster, I wouldn't change a thing: how many 37 year old men do you know who can honestly say they are REALLY happy? If you're like me, not many.

So I'll deal with the ulcers, the stomach pains, and the high blood pressure: I'll go to bed tonight knowing that at LEAST 3 people love me.

Even if they don't know any better.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw! Happy Birthday Rakes!!!! Ted, I thought of you this morning while watching an interview with Brian Kilmead of Fox and Friends. When asked a question (sorry, it's early and I forgot) his reply was "I'm sad to say that I'm not really a deep person." Now, do you have any idea why I thought of you. Oh wait! I'm not finished!!!! This from the man who wrote "It's How You Play the Game". Not deep? Yah right?!!!!!

Ted D said...

Denise, this Mr Kilmead sounds like a fine person: I think I'll have to do a little reading about him!

And I have no idea why you thought of me!

Tree Newt said...

There are a few more of us out here that love ya, bro. Just in case you were feeling unloved this fine morn.

Ted D said...

I'm good, man.

But I appreciate the sentiment.

Or sediment: whichever one it is.

Anonymous said...

From what I gathered this morning, I think you would enjoy his book. I'm going to get my husband one for Christmas. Did you want me to drop a hint to Ang for you?

Ted D said...

Denise, you can drop the hint, but we've decided no gifts for us this year: everything dedicated to Christmas is going to the kids and family.

Though I'm sure I'll get her something. ;)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Whats up with the rear head view? We have kinda grown attached to all of Rakes facial antics. I expect a "Jack " face from the Shining real soon.

Its not to late to load up the family truckster and head out for Christmas.

Ted D said...

He had his party today, Bub. Plenty of Jack faces!

I'll put some up later tonight sometime.

Oh yeah: Go OSU!

HorshamScouse said...

Happy Birthday Rakes!!

I'll see your Go OSU and raise you a Go EFC!!
(Everton Football Club, who won 7-1 today)

Ted D said...

Horsham, I'll pass the word to him that New Zealand says Happy Birthday.

Go EFC! ( I have no clue who that is.)

Tex said...

Im sorry I missed Rakes 4th Birthday!! Happy Late Birthday Rakes!!!! from your auntie Tex :)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Once again oSU is pulling the pOKE choke!!!

28 -10 SOONERS halftime

Ted D said...

Tex, Rakes and I are sitting at the computer playing his new Bibleman computer game. I just read him what you wrote, and he cackled and said "dat is tunny Dad!"

(That is funny) ;)

Bub, I sort of figured as much. Does OU still have a shot at playing in the championship game?

HorshamScouse said...

Everton is the team I grew up supporting, although the other Liverpool team (oddly called Liverpool FC:)) has been more successful recently.

Ted D said...

I'm just busting on you a little, John. If Rakes keeps his interest, I'm gonna have to learn a little more about your version of football.

Tex said...

Ted i can speak rakeanese :)

Ted D said...

Sorry Tex, my bad. Forgot you were fluent in Rakesaneese.