CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 2, 2007

Manny, meet Mr. Leno

Tonight, sometime between 11:30 pm and 12:30 am, Manny Ramirez will be appearing on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

This could turn into one of two things: either the GREATEST segment in the history of late night television, or the biggest train wreck this side of Ms. Spears most recent MTV performance.

What in the world could he have to say? Will he invite the studio audience back to his hotel room for drinks, much like he invited the entire town of Boston to his house during the parade?

Will he finally explain why he stroked Julian Tavarez's head during an ENTIRE half inning this year? Are we going to get the final word on why he played mute for all of the regular season, only to turn into quote machine once the playoffs start? Will he finally admit his hat his too small for his ever growing hair and that next season he's getting the Barry Bond's sized batting helmet?

My guess? He walks out to a huge ovation, then spends the next 15 minutes giggling like a 5 year old while trying to convince Jay he absolutely, positively, HAS to sit in with Paul Schaffer and the band before he leaves while Leno futilely tries to explain that he's thinking of the wrong show. There is no way on earth my head is hitting a pillow until Manny exits stage left.

Finally, the Sox announced today they've exercised the options of Tim Wakefield and Julian Tavarez. Wake I get: he won 17 games last season and can be the voice of wisdom and experience now since it appears the Big Schill will not be coming back. Tavarez, on the other hand, is a head scratcher to me. He wasn't good enough to be on the playoff/World Series roster, yet he's good enough to pick up at almost $4 million dollar option?

Maybe they just want him around to keep Manny happy or Daisuke hasn't learned EVERY curse word in Spanish yet: I have no clue. Or maybe they did it so they can bring Schill back and trade Julian for some prospects. Who knows.

However, the possibility of one more year of the Julian Tavarez era in Boston has me positively giddy.

'Cause bowling the ball to first base will NEVER get old.

*I found the highlights of Manny on The Tonight Show and Big Papi on the Conan O'Brien Show over at the blog CENTER FIELD. Watching the video, it's no wonder these two have been embraced the way they have by RSN: Good stuff.*

8 comments:

JMP said...

Ted,
Can't wait for Manny to dazzle us with his STYLE!!!
Lots of people will soon understand just what the phrase 'Manny being Manny' means.
It will be fun!
Don't count Shill out yet. If he stays its more sentimental than ability. Yes he can pitch 3-4 good innings but God knows what injury's will crop up next year. If his $ request is not outrageous then he should continue in Boston.. after all his IS the bloody sox!!! And you can not put any $ amount on that!!
Great that Tavarez is back. Yea, he is a loose cannon, he wins some and looses some but the shear entertainment value of having him on the team is priceless...the was he directs plays from the mound or dugout, the way he messes with his teammates and the fans ( watching him in the dugout at a D.Ray game was a blast!!) and how he's "HELPING?!?!" Dice-k is a hoot!!
Face it he is a real RED SOX kind of person....crazy and nuts and who else outside of little league would roll a ball from near the pitchers mound to first base to get an out???? He is our crazy Uncle that every one should have!!!

Ted D said...

jmp, I'm counting on Manny being Manny tonight!

And I'd love for Schill to come back: to me, the guy bought himself a get out of jail free card with RSN in '04: I think that's why he had such a rough time of it since then. Gutting his way through the playoffs and the WS that year with blood seeping through his sock.

Julian is Julian: I love the guy. Him playing air traffic controller from the mound is high comedy.

And you are right: he's a real Sox player: Nuts!

Stacy said...

I'm with jmp; Crazy Julian is a perfect fit for the Red Sox. Maybe he can join the band in the bullpen. :)

Ted D said...

Stacy, even the Pirate Band may think Julian is a little out there!

Redbeard76 said...

Thanks for your comments & kind words Ted. I've linked you in my blog recently, and you're welcome to do the same if you like.

I won't mention the Manny interview until you've seen it, in case you haven't yet. Have a great weekend. I'm not sure if Schill is coming back either, if he doesn't get re-signed, he may retire I think. I can't imagine him anywhere else since he's really settled into Boston as a home, but I don't know how much the FO will have to shell out for him for a one year deal.

Ted D said...

Stephen, I stayed up and watched it: when he gave Carell the fist bump, I lost it! I'm home alone with frick and frack and just checking in, but I'll try and link the blog during naps.

You're welcome on the comments I left: nothing like raising children, especially little girls.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I have to say, for all the talk over how he wasn't comfortable with his English, he sounded pretty good out there. I think he was a little nervous, stumbling over his thoughts a couple of times. (Like I'm one to talk. I would have been shaking visibly on camera. LOL) But I about died laughing when he asked Jay if he was related to Youk, same chin & all. And that laugh... so jaoful, so infectious. Sometimes I think Manny doesn't get enough credit for finding a very good balance between being a disciplined athlete and not taking himself or what he does for a living too seriously.

Ted D said...

Dawn, I think you're on to something: Manny is one of the best offensive players year after year, playing in a fishbowl of a market, with all sorts of distractions. For him to be consistently one of the games best he's got to stay on an even keel.

I've said it before: a world without Manny in it is one I'm not ready to experience yet.