CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 22, 2007

One Year Later

*Picture courtesy of Kelly*

I got to thinking earlier today while I was getting Trot out of the sink for the 5th time in 20 minutes that it had been close to a year since I started this little lemonade stand called Red Sox Dad. Sure enough, when I went back and looked at the archives, it'll be one year tomorrow.

In honor of my good friend Tex, who sort of gave me the final push I needed to get the thing up and running, I've used a picture of Josh Beckett for this post. Beckett also happened to be the subject matter, such as it was, for my first ever entry for the blog. You know that saying about even a blind squirrel finding an acorn every now and then? In hindsight, that first one hit the nail square on the head: Who'd a thunk it?

Reading over some of the earliest posts, I've got to give a big thank you to anyone who's still reading that was around for the first few months. While I'm not gonna win a Pulitzer anytime soon, I'm a lot better now than I was then. Of course "better" is a matter of opinion, but I'd like to think so. For those of you who found me later and still take the time to stop in everyday, thanks.

As far as my regular group of reprobates and mental patients who obviously have a sadistic side, a big thanks to you as well. I appreciate all the comments and constructive criticism I get from you. And by constructive criticism, I of course mean insults: well, Tex, Matt, and Scott provide the insults. The rest of you are much nicer.

If you fall into the "read daily but occasionally/never comment" group, I appreciate you reading this mess as well. I've said from the beginning that it's therapy for me and since it's free, it's a whole lot better than a shrink. Like any writer, you're only as good as your subject matter.

Luckily mine is the Boston Red Sox, who are positioned to be REALLY good for a LONG time, and my completely insane children.

It looks like you may be stuck with me for the foreseeable future.

22 comments:

Tex said...

I'll have you know that my constructive criticism is solely said in love





Ohhhhh OK...maybe with a little jest but mostly in love. :)
You've come a Long way Baby!!

Tex said...

and bringing from the old post

http://www.infoporium.com/heritage/crockquotes.shtml
you'll have to find it

Ted D said...

I know that, Tex. Just some sisterly love mixed in with some little brother bashing: it's all good.

Now, if a can figure out this copy/paste thing, I want to see what you've linked...

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Geez , if we were in Arkansas you two would be kissing, of course if you were in Utah Ted could marry both of you.

Yes I too have enjoyed our time together this year. You do all the work but I feel I have brought a few characters into the asylum.

Ted D said...

You are a dink, Bub. A loveable, quirky one, but still a dink.

Thanks for making this first year at the RSD a memorable one. BTW, your "Two midgets" line from an earlier post? Instant classic.

Tex said...

all kidding aside, Ted you have really put together one heck of a blog here mixing up your love for baseball with family things. You have a way with words. The stories of Rakes and Trot just seem to be perfect script for a mini series. And the friendship with all of you has been priceless. It will be a pleasure meeting all of your family one day.

Ted D said...

Thanks, Tex.

The feeling on the friendship is definately mutual: I'm looking forward to the day Ciera, Rakes, and Trot meet Auntie Tex.

Getting to meet you and becoming your friend may be the highlight of this whole thing: thanks for pushing me to it and coming along for the ride.

Anonymous said...

To say you have a unique style in your writing would be an understatement. I'm glad Angie showed me your blog and Mattie's. It's been hmmmm? therapeutic, enlightening and hilarious. Good stuff all around.

Ted D said...

Edge,

Thanks for reading. And by unique, you mean...? :)

Tex said...

ted just take the compliment...

Ted D said...

Sorry Tex, Edge and Angie are good friends and I was referencing a inside thing between her and Ang.

Believe me, I appreciate the compliment.

Now, here's hoping Denise understands the reference...

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Jr I just got a disturbing call at my house and was told to give newt a message via his blog. You might want to check it out.

Ted D said...

I thought they were getting rid of the dog? I say just let him stay in the house: what could go wrong?

HorshamScouse said...

Has it really been a year? Seems waaay longer:)

Ted D said...

Yeah, a whole year John.

::gives Horsham the old one fingered salute::

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

How are the troops holding up?

Saw Johnny this morning. Didn't get to talk to him. His wife was with him, she must be a swell girl.

Ted D said...

Everybody is still sick as dogs. So far I've managed to avoid it, but with my luck I'll get it tomorrow night.

I haven't talked to him in 3 years. I wonder how he is?

Stacy said...

Ted, I personally enjoy reading this train wreck...er..blog everyday. :)

Whether it's finding out the Sox finally made a deal with Lowell or finding out how many times Trot has been in the kitchen sink on a given day, it's usually my first stop after checking our e-mail.

Sorry the family is still sick. Just wear your face mask, gloves and spray everything with Lysol and you'll be fine.

Let me know if you need more Sprite or soup. I'll drop it on the front porch and run for my life. :)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Well if you get bored get on msm games and download the free trial of Martha Quinns the 80's triva .I am the king

Ted D said...

Thanks sis, and thanks for the groceries. I'm running on less than 3 hours sleep, have a massive headache, and Rakes has entered "I'm so tired and feel so bad I'm just going to melt down" mode.

Bub, was she that dj on MTV? I'll have to check it out and we can compare scores.

Tex said...

Ted if you want, I can express some candy over :)

Ted D said...

Keep that candy away from here; he's finally asleep!