CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 21, 2007

An Update On The Can't Miss Kid

Outside of following the Red Sox with a fervor usually reserved for radical Islamists and Fantasy Football players, my other favorite baseball related thing to do this year was try and keep up with Josh Hamilton.

I've posted a few times on him: local Carolina boy who was the 1st pick in the 1999 baseball draft. You may have heard of the guy who was picked 2nd: Josh Beckett. Hamilton was the classic tale of someone who had the world by the tail, but ego, drugs, and alcohol took him down.

Except this kid was the exception: through faith, hard work, and the love a woman who wouldn't give up on him, he made it back. All the way from strung out in some crackheads mobile home to playing CF next to Ken Freaking Griffey for the Cincinnati Reds.

After being away from the game from basically 2002 to 2006, he played in all of 15 minor league games in 2006. With the odds almost a million to one, he made the Opening Day roster of the Reds this past season and ended up hitting .292 with 19 HR's and 47 RBI's in 90 games.

Word came down late today that he had been traded to the Texas Rangers. Part of me is thrilled for the guy because Ron Washington seems like a perfect manager for this kid and part of me is already worried that change may not what he needs in regards to his recovery.

I hope he's mature enough to handle it, though the fact he's made it this far tells me he is.

I hope he'll get the support in Texas he had in Cincinnati, and the fact Washington is there sort of tells me he will.

I hope he hits .300, 35, and 120 next season; 'cause if anyone deserves to have success it's Josh Hamilton.

If this isn't the perfect time of year to wish for hope, I don't know what is.

Merry Christmas, Josh.

I'll be pulling for you.

22 comments:

Tree Newt said...

I saw that in the paper today, and couldn't help but be happy for the guy. The fact that Texas wanted him to be their starter speaks volumes about how far he's come. I, too, hope he does well with the transition. Dude, living in Dallas has GOT to be better than the 'Natti.

Ted D said...

Yeah, I forgot to say he would be the starting CF, Mattie. Thanks for the pick up.

Dallas is a pretty big party town, and he had a guy who sort of stayed with him 24/7 on the road with the Reds. Hopefully the Rangers will do the same sort of thing.

Tex said...

anyone with the name "josh" can't be all that bad right? :)

and the Rangers are in Arlington NOT Dallas. There's plenty of smaller cities around. The Ranger fans will welcome him big time...its Texas.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ok Ted who is Adam and when did you form a blog for money bond with him?

beckperson said...

Hey tree newt, don't be messing with my home town! :)

Given the choice between Ohio and Texas to live, I'd choose Massachusetts anytime.

::ducks::

Anonymous said...

I had thought of wishing you a very Merry Christmas Ted but I couldn't. No, I'm not going to use my new Happy Jesus Birthday either. Instead, what I wish for you is a Peaceful and Happy Christmas with as little chaos as possible. I know I'm really going out on a limb here given some of your posts but I hope you find a moment or two of a "Be Still and Know that He is God" ! He will perfect that which concerns you! OH and yes, Merry Christmas Ted. Thanks for helping us not feel so homesick with your stories from home. Give our love to your family too. We look forward to more happy stories from "Home".

Ted D said...

Tex, you're right: anybody with the name Josh is all right in my book. ;)

And thanks: the Rangers DO play in Arlington. But aren't they fairly close?

Bub, Adam is apparantly what we refer to as a Blog-Pimper. It's what I get for not making you do one of those "copy this code" deals.

Becks, forgive corn nut for not realizing you are from Youk's hometown. ;) And I'll agree with your pick between the three, but I bet our favorite Texan is gonna be miffed!

Edge, we've got one with a head cold and Trot has the stomach bug, both ends. So I appreciate the wishes for peace and quiet, but right now it's not looking too good. Oh well, there is always the hours between 10 pm and 5 am.

::sigh::

beckperson said...

Kinda felt like provoking Donna - not a very charitable Christmas thing to do today, eh? :)

Oh well...I won't hold it against the Newt. Cincinnati (one T at the end, my friend!) isn't the most exciting place on earth.

Good luck with the sick'ens, Teddy!

Tree Newt said...

Becks, sorry for doggin' on your hometown! And I sat there looking at the two t's and knew it was wrong, but let it go! Thanks for the spell check!

Tex, Dallas...Arlington...Houston...Waco...El Paso...aren't they all the same? :)

Ted D said...

She's pretty fun to pick on, isn't she Becks? ;) As for the sickuns, it comes with the job.

Oat Meal, you are fixin' to make one onery Texan angry!

Tex said...

1. Texas is very diverse, geographically, ethnically, racially, pcally, and everythingelseally. so NO Dallas, El Paso, Austin etc is NOT the same.

2. Becks hasn't made it to Austin yet...i feel when she does...she'll see why i love it here so.

3. I don't expect any of ya ever to understand how it feels to be a Texan and our pride. You have to be a native born to understand it. However, I would love to live in Mass...but Austin is close enough for now.

4. it's spelled "ornery" and you ain't seen it yet. if you did, you'd know better than to "miff" me off. ;)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Ted, trot confined to the bathroom? I feel one heck of a blog coming

Its snowing here. I'm really starting to take this global warming serious.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Tex I never thought of all those definitions of Texas. I usually stick with the, "Boil on the butt of Oklahoma."

Ted D said...

Tex, you are too much! I've been to Dallas, Arlington, Corpus, Laredo, South Padre and we used to go down to McAllen every year with my folks for Spring Break.

Bub, problem is he's NOT confined. So far he's been sick in his bed, the kitchen, and this morning, OUR bed. I just got back from picking up the comfertor from the dry cleaners.

Tex said...

funny scott. i always thought okies were the boiling water we were cooking.

is it new years yet?

Ted D said...

Are you still sticking to that? ;)

Can either of the two of you explain to me why there is so much animosity between Oklahoma and Texas?

Tex said...

oh something about OU and UT i think. or it could be that okies took to running north when hell broke loose in texas. ;)

Ted D said...

Well, better late than never Tex. ;)

Are you saying there were Okies at the Alamo who left early?

Bub, the ball is now in your court.

Tex said...

hey ted. i just posted a new one.....this one is surely to bust a gut. and no I didnt write it :)

yeah Okies are yellar

Ted D said...

"Okies are yellar"

And deafaning silence comes from OK.

You may just have me convinced to disavow any allgiance I have to OK and swear by the Lone Star state, Tex.

Tex said...

you know what davy crockett said when he was headed to Texas?

"You may all go to Hell, I'm going to Texas."

even Old Davy was a smart man :)

Ted D said...

I refuse to believe Davy Crockett ever said such a thing.

New post, sis.