CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Photo Day

You think Big Papi is ready?

He's already got his bottom of the 9th inning game face on, and it's only Photo Day. Now, if that look was accompanied by 36,000+ screaming maniacs at Fenway Park? I'd be one happy goober.

Also coming out of camp today was news that the Red Sox and manager Terry Francona had agreed to a 3 year extension, which means that at least in theory, he'll be managing the team through the year 2011. Most of the time, long term contracts for managers are just that; theory.

Except I'm pretty sure Tito may be the exception to the rule. All he's done in his first 4 years is lead the team to 2 World Series championships and to the playoffs in another year. I'd ALMOST go as far and say that without his personality and leadership skills, they never could have come back against the Yankees in '04. I say almost because that does a disservice to the character of the players.

I can say THIS with confidence; there aren't too many Managers who could have pushed the right buttons and kept that team loose and confident enough to where they BELIEVED they could come back.

Plus, without going through '04, they probably don't get past Cleveland this past October. Being down 3 games to 1 and having to win out in order to get to the World Series, you have to think Francona drew on the 2004 experience to keep the ship upright. So, good for Tito. He's got another 4 years in Boston and will finally be paid like what he is.

One of the best skippers in the game today.

It looks like we picked up another potential starting pitcher today as well, as Bartolo Colon agreed to a minor league deal with Boston after an ineffective 2007 with the Angels. It's another low risk, high reward move Theo is known for, like picking Papi off the scrap heap in Minnesota or signing Kevin Millar right before he went to Japan. Colon is 2 years removed from the Cy Young award, and although the last time I saw him he looked like he had just ate Shrek, I like the move.

2006 proved you can't have enough healthy arms, and 2007 showed what happens when you do.

Finally, another video shot by my niece Libby the other night. At first glance, I didn't really like it. However, going back and watching it again, it's got a few gems here and there. One is about halfway through, when Rakes tells Lib who he saw at his Nanny's house.

You also get to see Trot in full-bore pitch a fit mode, which always makes me reach for the Advil.


28 comments:

Tex said...

::reaches for the mute button::

SO happy to hear Tito is signed. and HOW could they NOT??

I think they should use kelly's photos for photo day.

Ted D said...

Hey Tex. I guess you made it home safe.

Good to hear about Tito, huh? And Kelly should have a job on the team, period.

Is the mute button for Trot by any chance? And can you let me borrow it?

Tex said...

i think they have these earplugs that soften the noise. just remember...when Trot gets his own kid....he'll get his

Ted D said...

He sort of sounds like a yak in heat, right?

Tree Newt said...

Dude, that was not a good representation of your house, either. Rakes was WAY too calm, Trot was only on about 4, and where was Ciera, the ringleader? C'mon, give it to the faithful with BOTH barrels!

And speaking of Trot, when did he become Crash Davis? I saw he signed a minor league deal with the D-Backs.

Tex said...

naw. just a loud kid. just play the music in your head louder when he starts up.

Ted D said...

Mattie, Libby taped it and I have no idea when the aliens took over my kids. Weird, huh?

I saw where Trot signed with the D-Backs. I hope he can make the roster. Sort of sad, actually.

Tex, problem is, the music in my head IS the kids.

Tex said...

ted i hate to tell you but yelling is NOT considered music

~**Dawn**~ said...

1. Is it unfair of me that the idea of Colon getting a call to the bigs gives me the same gut-wrenching fear I associate with a Rudy Seanez sighting? Please let our starters stay healthy...

2. It's about time they got on the stick with the Tito contract.

3. I think Trot just gave me a daycare flashback. You know how war vets get flashbacks? When I hear that noise, I go somewhat catatonic. And rock like Tito. Only imagine that there are seven more Trots. I have more & more awe for you everyday, Ted. But they sure are cute kids. =)

Ted D said...

What do you mean yelling isn't music, Tex?

Dawn, there was a pretty spirited discussion at SG last night on Colon. My take? It's a low risk move to sign him to a minor league deal; it's basicaly insurance in case something goes haywire, I think. I agree, Tito's deal should have been done a long time ago.

And sorry for the flashback! I can't imagine 7 of him; The three I have are tough enough. ;)

Redbeard76 said...

Hey Ted, I think I've made a decision about Tedapalooza - I don't think I'll make it to the weekend games but I want to get together on Monday before you get on the plane when you're in the Chicopee area, I'll buy you lunch and you can meet the whole pirate crew. I think I'll go to a KC game later in the week since there's still tickets left for that, obstructed view albeit. What say you? Email me when you get a chance.

Ted D said...

Stephen, sounds good. I'll email you later tonight.

Stacy said...

Glad the Sox gave Tito a good extension; it's most definitely deserved.

Rakes really was sort of subdued that night; Trot was the one I had to keep my eye on. What can I say? He wanted the balloon. :)

Ted D said...

Stacy, I still think you slipped 'em a Micky.

Tex said...

Ted when is your flight back on Monday? and you're riding with hayes and candaon back to their place right?

Ted D said...

4 something, Tex.

And yep; I'll be heading back with them Sunday night.

Tex said...

well hopefully we can all eat a bite before ya head back. have you thought about when we do the Fenway tour? itd be nice if we could do it early on Friday before the game. so we don't have to try and make it early on sat to meet up.

Ted D said...

I was thinking Friday too, Tex. It just depends on when we get to Boston that day I guess.

I've gotta do it, though.

Tex said...

well it has to happen before 5pm...cos I wanna get into the game when the gates open

Ted D said...

You and me both, Tex. Any luck on a hotel yet?

Tex said...

i know becks sent an email to hayes about a hotel in natick. Im guessing she was supposed to book it. Im judging by the last email that Im gonna have to just buy my own sunday ticket.

Ted D said...

I thought hayes was getting one on stub hub?

Tex said...

im lost. i thought i saw her say she wasnt getting them till later. Im planning this weekend and I would like to know my hotel, plane and tickets are done by the end of march.

Ted D said...

Tex,

Hayes sent me an email and said she would be getting you, her, and Josh tickets on Stubhub.

CALL HER!

Tex said...

ok maybe i misunderstood. i will.

Ted D said...

Tex, if you think I'm letting you miss this over a stinking motel room, you've got another thing coming. ;)

Bickley said...

So when are you going to Fenway? I'm too lazy to look at a calendar and count 80 days...We're going up there on July 25 for the Yankees series.

Ted D said...

Bickley,

May 15th through May 19th.