CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rakes Being Pele. Part Two.

Tonight was Rakes' first Spring soccer practice, and Ang and I couldn't be more happy. Do you know what it's like to have a child, with the energy level usually reserved for Terminators sent from the future, cooped up in the house during winter?

Let's just say the imaginary "Chaos Meter" in my head has been pinging for the last 4 months.

Soccer practice couldn't have come sooner; Rakes was at his full throttle, balls to the wall best tonight. Kicking soccer balls, elbowing other kids out of his way, and when Coach Wendell asked who could score a goal? Rakes was the first, and loudest, to raise his hand.

He ran, laughed, kicked, and showboated for 45 minutes straight. And while his antics would earn him a Red Card (I'll defer to my resident soccer expert Horshamscouse on the final ruling), just seeing him running around like a maniac did my heart good. Once soccer is done, T-Ball starts about 10 days later. Which reminds me, I have GOT to have that talk with him about no pimping at the plate when he get's hold of one like Manny, don't taunt the 2nd baseman when he runs by, and don't ever, and Dad means EVER, run the bases backward.

No matter how much you want to.

As the final exercise for practice tonight, Coach went about 50 yards away, knelt down, and had the kids race to be the first one to give him a high five.

Guess who won?

20 comments:

Tex said...

hey Ted. dont ever give Rakes Red Bull. I'm just sayin. sounds like it was a fun day. I hope Rakes does well this year. and by well i mean have fun playing the game.
its good to have his same coach too. **and his coach is cute. :)
i know, he's probably married.

Ted D said...

Tex, I don't even like giving him Kool-Aid.

And one of the things I love about this league? No score is kept, and if the parents talk about it, they are GONE.

He get's to stay with Coach Wendell for the Spring as well; gives them sort of a comfort zone. 7 of the 10 kids who played together in the fall are back, although there were only 6 at practice tonight.

He's married with 3 kids.

And a Youth Pastor.

Sorry, sis. ;)

Tex said...

i like they dont keep score. its just about playing the game. looks like Rakes is having fun


or he's a ham


or both :)

Ted D said...

It's both, Tex.

You have GOT to come for a visit.

And Trot? Makes Rakes look downright shy.

Plus, Ciera has about 1 MILLION questions she'd like to ask you.

Tex said...

uh can i ANSWER her questions??

I promise to come. Im trying to figure this all out. I'd really like to come and haul all of them to a baseball game in Greenville.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Well it sounds like life is back to normal .(hee hee) And Angie didn't kick you threw the goal post of live after last nights antics ,so all is good in the hood.

Ted D said...

Tex, if you know anything about Hannah Montanna, The Cheetah Girls, or I Carly, your'e good.

If not? Welcome to the club.

And I've said it before. You are welcome ANYTIME.

Ted D said...

Hey Bub!

Today was a MUCH better day. Ang is a saint, as we all know.

I just had "one of those days" yesterday I guess.

The peril's of Fatherhood and all that.

Tree Newt said...

That boy will be all-world at some sport. He's made for it. Look at his face in that picture: that's bliss.

Ted D said...

Mattie, that is what I loved about that photo.

Which Ciera took, btw.

He is REALLY happy. Which makes me smile. I don't even care it's not baseball causing him that look.

He's happy.

And that is all that really matters.

~**Dawn**~ said...

If you could just find a way to bottle some of that energy, we just might solve this oil/alternate energy source crisis.

Ted D said...

Dawn,

I agree. Now, how do we actually harness it?

Anonymous said...

Go Rakes!!! You did such a good job at soccer yesterday. I can tell from what your daddy wrote that he is very proud of you. I am looking forward to moving back so I can watch you play. Would you score a goal for me?

Ted D said...

Edge, he'll score a goal if it means running over one of his own teammates.

He's already done it.

Krystle [RSO] said...

So I take it the soccer is working out once again? Good to hear. Like seeing him so happy on a soccer field. Can't wait to hear T-Ball stories!

I can help out with some of the Hannah Montana. Things I know? Miley Cyrus is 2 people in 1. Her real dad is her character dad =].

Stacy said...

Glad to see Rakie having fun and burning off his endless supply of energy. :)

You need to keep him in sports year round. He'd look like you playing football; being pulled down the field by the guy he's trying to tackle. :)

Ted D said...

Krystle, my 9 year old is obsessed with Miley Cyrus, so I've got that covered. And yep, soccer went great.

Stacy, no football yet. If I was as small as him, I can't believe Mom went along with me playing football.

Krystle [RSO] said...

There's a girl in my senior social studies class who LOVES hannah montana. She's 17. It's really weird. At least she's 9 =]! At least you have the basics covered ;-].

You have to take videos of Rakes playing soccer so we can all see this little rugrat play =]!

Ted D said...

Once the games start, I'm going to Krystle. He was pretty funny last fall.

Anonymous said...

We were discussing this blog last night, in the chat that we frequent. We agree that you should write a book, and that your Rake's blogs are usually the best blogs. Tell me. Are you living vicariously through his youth, in reminiscence of your own? HAHAHAHAHA! As usual man, I got a kick out of the post.

Be easy and have a great weekend too!