CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Rakes in Action.

Due to the fact Ciera apparently is a fan of really LONG movies, I can't show the clip of Rakes scoring a breakaway goal. I guess 2:37 is too long for Blogger to be able to process.

Needless to say, it was classic Rakes; score the goal, run over and high five Dad, then dart back to the starting circle, jump around and remind everyone HE was the one who scored, then take the ball and run about 30 yards out of bounds while the ref's whistle blows.

Reminder to self: Go over the basic rules with Rakes before the next game.

In addition to finding out I've been made assistant coach (I've got my own green Sharks jersey to prove it), Thursday night brought us a new, and not necessarily improved, Rakes.

First is the aforementioned loss of hearing. Second is the tendency to wander off the field when he wanted a drink of water, forget the fact that the GAME is going on. I just gotta keep telling myself he's 4, not 14.

As you watch the video, keep in mind that this was taken at the END of a 45 minute game, yet he runs around like he just showed up. Coach Wendell has given him the nickname "Popeye" and made Rakes promise he'd bring spinach for everyone else next time.

Finally, notice the look of absolute bewilderment on his face toward the end when the little girl grabs the ball with her hands; he asked me AT LEAST 12 times on the way home "why dat dirl use her hands? You TAN'T use your hands in soccer, Dad."

Leave it to Rakes. The only time he follows the rules is when there is a ball involved.


15 comments:

HorshamScouse said...

Every bit as chaotic as I remember kids' soccer was for me!

I assume Rakes was number 7 on the green team? I used to wear number 7 when I played for my primary school (I was nine or so).

Picking the ball up after the blatant foul would be OK if the ref had blown his/her whistle:)

Assistant coach = kitten herder.

Anonymous said...

I love how they all follow the ball! Too cute! Thanks!

Tree Newt said...

I thought we were getting the video of his goooooooooooooooooooooooooal! That's exactly how I remember soccer as a kid. Except I was the one standing around staring at the sky while everybody else was in a mob chasing after the ball.

Ted D said...

Horsham, they look like a herd of cattle, right? Rakes is #7 on the green team: you're correct. He had #2 last year, and that just won't do, what with Capt. Intangibles and all. And I like the kitten herder analogy.

Denise, some follow the ball, the others just notice everyone is moving and follow along.

Mattie, I tried to load that one about 5 times and it's too long. Ciera tried to turn soccer into War and Peace: it just won't download.

~**Dawn**~ said...

::twitches from a daycare flashback::

So, you figured out what the upload issue was, huh?

Ted D said...

Dawn, sorry for the twitching. Imagine how I feel!

And the issue was it was too long; Ciera got a little carried away with the length. ;)

~**Dawn**~ said...

I completely sympathize with how you feel, Ted. And at least now you know why Blogger Video was giving you fits! Live & learn.

Ted D said...

Yep: no more documentary's by Ciera!

Krystle [RSO] said...

As I've said before, I LOVE watching little kids play soccer. It's just so cute, fun, and yet funny at the same time.

Now back to studying not so fun economics.

Ted D said...

Thanks, Krystle. And I agree.

Good luck with the economics thing; never was good with the math.

Krystle [RSO] said...

Thanks! It's not math part were doing. We're doing demand and monopolies. It's a required class but pretty soon it's going to be Criminal Justice instead of economics wooo!

Ted D said...

//We're doing demand and monopolies.//

I know you're trying to say something, but I just don't understand.

::channeling my inner Marlin the Clownfish::

Nancy said...

Hi Ted!

Krystle [RSO] said...

Demand like Red Sox tickets are high in demand. That's sorta thing. Then Monopolies, well I think everyone knows that.

He did really switched around a lot of the unit and really I didn't learn all that much. Criminal Justice on the other hand.

Ted D said...

Hi Nance!

I figured with all the email taunting you were getting, you could use a real one. ;)

Krystle, still don't get it. Trust me, I'm REALLY as slow as I act.

But you keep hitting the books, you hear?