CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Crab Cakes Strikes Again

Josh Beckett, Curt Schilling, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Tim Wakefield, Jon Lester.

Who would have thought that on the 17th of June the guy I'd feel the best about taking the hill every 5th day would have been Lester?

Sure, Beckett is still Beckett, although he's been a tad more shaky this year than I'd have expected after turning into the 2007 version of Sandy Koufax. And yeah, Daisuke is 8-0 with a ERA under 3.00, but let's be honest; is there ANY ONE who isn't waiting for the other shoe to drop and him turn into the guy who walks 6 guys in 3 innings?

Wake and Schill are old and at least with Schill, disabled. So that leaves Lester. Or Crab Cakes, as Cyn so brilliantly named him for his tendency to somehow look like a 88 year old in a 24 year old body.

Tonight, against a lineup that made Bartolo Colon look like a rookie AND sent him to the DL, Lester was brilliant; 7 IP, 5 K's, and O runs, marking his 3rd straight outstanding outing. Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, and Jimmy Rollins? Just three names on the lineup card.

Oki with a scoreless 8th, Pap striking out the side in the 9th, and I could SWEAR I heard "Dirty Water" playing over the Philadelphia loudspeakers as the game ended.

Or was that just in my head?

Whatever it was, all I know is the Sox won and all is right with the world.

Tomorrow, Rakes may announce his manifesto that will allow him to rule the world. And I'm OK with that.

Crab Cakes shut out the Phillies TONIGHT.

Life is good.

9 comments:

Tex said...

and the Celtics shutDOWN the Lakers. Wooooooooooooo

Ted D said...

It's a good time to be a Boston sports fan, Tex.

Congrats to the Celtics on a job well done.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I heard this is not the first time Colon has been sidelined as a result of hacking at pitches. I am thinking he maybe shouldn't pitch in any NL parks... As an aside, Lester didn't look half bad at the plate.

Ted D said...

If he'd actually gotten a hold of one Dawn, I'm pretty sure it would have landed somewhere in Scranton. Lester handles the bat well, and so does Beckett.

Krystle said...

Oh boy, you know that it's a full moon when even me ALMOST blows their top about a Red Sox player.

I shouldn't laugh when I see a Red Sox pitcher bat but it's natural.

Ted D said...

It's like watching someone fresh in the country try to understand the language. They look, for the most part, ridiculous.

Krystle [RSO] said...

LOL! How true that is. At least Masterson looked decent at it.

HorshamScouse said...

For the first time in weeks I missed a 5 a.m. start and only saw a couple of innings. I think you're right, Lester's turning into the real deal.

No professional ballplayer has any excuse for batting the way Colon and some other AL pitchers bat. They weren't pitchers in Little League, they should be ashamed to take the money.
/rant

Ted D said...

Horsham, I gotta say I admire your dedication in getting up so early to catch the games.

On the pitchers, the way they come up through the minor leagues, if they are with an AL team, it's actually amazing these guys even make contact when they have to hit.

But Colon? Charlie Brownish.