CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Just when I think I've got him figured out...

If you stop by here on a regular basis, you know that my boy Rakes is, well, a little hard to handle at times.

I'm subjected on a daily basis to various random acts of destruction which usually result in me yelling at him to "quit hitting your brother on the head with that Power Ranger!"

So tonight, in a rare moment, he caught me off guard. After a spirited T-Ball game where he went 2 for 2 with a wicked hard throw to first to record an out (which in T-Ball comes along about as often as a Solar Eclipse), a bath where I'm pretty sure more water ended up OUTSIDE the tub than in it, and a competitive game of, well, I'm not totally sure. It involved Ladybugs, Aphids, and Rakes hollering about the number 5, the little sucker got to me.

After saying prayers and tucking him into bed, he uttered the following in the sweetest voice you could imagine:

"Dad. When I det big like you, be're donna be big baseball buddies and watch the Red Sox games together, right Dad?"

It was all I could do to get out "You bet, son. You bet."

It's not often a conversation I have with Rakes ends with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Well, unless I feel like I'm gonna hurl.

I'm man enough to admit it happened tonight.

11 comments:

Tree Newt said...

That's when it's all worth it, eh? He's a great kid, bro. One of a kind, and wild as a jackrabbit, but he's awesome. I can see the two of you sitting on the edge of the couch, one with the lucky ball, one with the lucky bat, tense and tight until.....YESSSSS!!!! Some kid who hasn't been born yet knocks one over the Manny Monster (you know that's what it will be called then).

Ted D said...

Mattie, it's something I've dreamed about for years. Ciera tries, but she's a girl and already more interested in what Zac Effron has to say than baseball.

Rakes seems to genuinely love the game and I've got a feeling he and I will be sharing a lot of great momnents, as well as some heartbreak over the next several years.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Krystle said...

Oh my WORD, is that the cutest thing I've heard in a LONG time! He's going in the right path of being a Sox fan and that's good enough for every Sox fan.

Of course if a little kid were to ask me that, I would completely melt into a puddle of cute!

And to make me "awwwh" outloud isn't bad either. Welcome to the club Rakes and thanks for making me well, "awwh"

Ted D said...

Krystle, he's one of a kind. And I'll share the "awwwh" with him in the morning.

To say it made my day is an understatement.

Tex said...

sorta like a diamond after it's been a lump of coal for years...the shine is there...it just takes time to find it.

::high fives Rakes::

check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqYUns2YQik

Ted D said...

Checking now, Tex.

If he was awake, he'd high five you back. Just on principal alone.

Ted D said...

Tex, that video is awesome and right on target.

And sort of scary.

Tex said...

i know. when it first came out...i thought of you and rakes. :)
night

Ted D said...

Night, Tex.

Anonymous said...

We're headed to Canada next month so I'll be sure to bring him back something with JAYS written all over it. It's not too late!!! hahaha

Ted D said...

Edge, keep on keeping on. One of these years the Jays will make you right. Of course, you've gotta jump past the Rays now, but it may happen. ;)