CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Man on Fire and Mess on Carpet

13 HR's, 43 RBI's, 14 Doubles, 2 Triples, .327 BA, .432OBP, .601 SLG, and the best accent this side of Gomer Pyle in MLB.

JD Drew is playing the game of baseball in a way that would make Roy Hobbs envious. In all seriousness, if JD has a magic bat named "Wonderboy" I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

It's not just the hitting; it's the "holy s**t I can't believe he made that catch" play in RF, where he's almost, for the first time since he got here, made me stop wishing Trot could come back as his backup, a special assistant to the G.M., or "designated guy to stomp Jonny Gomes into a mud puddle the next time we play Tampa".

Almost.

Even more impressive has been his ability to stay relatively injury free; usually by this point in the season, Drew has found a sprinkler head to trip over, had his back injured in a spirited game of "tackle the man who sounds like Bo Duke" with Manny, or been dive bombed by that crazy hawk that lives on top of one of the light towers at Fenway. So far, so good, and with the way he's playing we're all getting to see why Theo and Co. were salivating over him for so long.

As Angie and Ciera left for church tonight, I enjoyed about 15 minutes of relative calm with the boys before I heard a sentence that will give me chills for the rest of my life. Or until he can top this one, whichever comes first.

Rakes: "Dad. You better tome see dis. Trottie dot poopie ALL over de floor."

Too scared to look, I slowly walked over to the balcony, looked down, and saw Heckle standing over a spot of burnt-orange throw up while Jeckle looked up at me and uttered the following:

Trot: "Me sick, Dad. It dere. Me no sick now, Dad."

Combine that with Rakes doing his best Lloyd from "Dumb and Dumber" in my bathroom and having to change one of Trot's more fun filled diapers and my OCD was in hyper drive.

15 hand washings, 3 vinegar baths, and 1 brief consideration of a move to Antartica later, everything was back to normal.

Or what passes for normal around here, anyway.

Somebody pass the Prozac.

10 comments:

Tree Newt said...

First of all, I'm so glad for JD. It's just good to see it coming together for him, especially after all the crap he took last year.

Second, if I only could have seen your face when Rakes dropped that bomb on you. Too much!

Ted D said...

Mattie, as far as I'm concerned, it couldn't happen to a better guy. JD deserves this type of year.

As for Rakes? I'm pretty sure Powder looked tan compared to what I looked like.

Tex said...

YAY D!!! and never mind the WonderBat...we got the WonderTwins.

i dunno what the fuss is about...kids get sick all the time. you really need to get over this OCD thing

Tree Newt said...

Preach it, Tex!

Ted D said...

Woot for the Wonder Twins!

Tex, ever since I can remember, puke and poop have sent me over the edge. Somehow I can deal with it when it's my kids, but if it's somebody else's?

All bets are off.

Ted D said...

Bite my tweeter Newt!

You've got your own issues, which I'll be more than happy to share with the class! ;)

~**Dawn**~ said...

Oh. My. Lord.

I have tons of experience with kids. I can deal with almost any poop you throw my way (though I would prefer you didn't thanks) but I could never ever get used to throw up. Baby spit up? No problem. But actual puke? ::shudder::

Ted D said...

It was quite the scene, Dawn.

I'm proud to say that even though Ang didn't get home until almost 9, I did not call her in a panic.

Progress is a beautiful thing.

Tex said...

its JUST puke and poop. what happened to love thy neighbor?

::searches on internet for fake puke and poop to place in random spots around Teds house when i visit::

Ted D said...

Exactly, Tex. It's puke and poop; if it weren't my kids, I would have been the one puking.

And you don't need to find fake stuff; we've got enough of the real stuff to go around.