CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Rakes, JD, and the pool.

*Picture courtesy of my sister, Stacy. See? I DO give proper credit. ;)*

Yesterday at my nieces 2nd birthday party, Rakes apparently did his best Indiana Jones impression. Timing his leap from the teeter totter to the chain on the swing, he repeatedly performed this move (I imagine humming the theme song every time) until his Grandmother made him stop. Nothing like an overprotective Grandparent to ruin his good time.)

Today, I took him and his sister to the pool, where he had to pull his shorts up 567 times, ate 7 pieces of water melon he begged off one of my neighbors, and had to sit in time out 2 times because he kept screaming out lines from "The Temple of Doom" while splashing his fellow swimmers with complete disregard for their well being.

I spend half of my time with him shaking my head in disbelief, while I use the other half laughing my head off. I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do with this child. He's already playing soccer and T-Ball; maybe I need to sign him up to be a cage fighter to round him out and take away the rough edges.

For now? He's sleeping peacefully in his bed like an angel.

He's probably dreaming about running the world someday.

In Red Sox news, they took 2 out of 3 from the Mariners today, with JD Drew continuing to show all of RSN why Theo and company were so high on him. His solo shot to deep center field was the difference in the 2-1 win over Seattle, as well as his Nixon-esque play in RF. About the only thing a Red Sox fan can complain about right now is he wasn't knee deep in the melee with the Rays the other night like that other guy who used to play RF and wear #7.

Personally? I'd rather have our best hitters as far away from that kind of donnybrook as possible. Give me the sweet swing, RBI's, and Home Runs any day of the week.

All that said, I still miss Trot.

Godspeed, Dirt Dog.

6 comments:

Tree Newt said...

Man, I hate I missed the Indy impersonation. I was doing my own impersonation of "The Mayor" trying to say hello to all the guests and facilitate a tired, hot, and cranky 2 year old birthday girl.

By the way, explain the math that makes it possible to take 20 of 3. I was never very good at Algebra.

~**Dawn**~ said...

1. That photo of Rakes is priceless. I can almost hear the michiwvous giggle.

2. 20 of 3? Darn, I missed a really good weekend of baseball appartently. ;-)

3. Drew can stay out of the fray, with his tendancies for being made of glass. I would almost rather he not be Trot in any way. Bad enough that he wears that 7. (And no I am still not over that, even though I have embraced his presence in Boston now.)

HorshamScouse said...

Great pic of Rakes. Just hang on and enjoy the ride.

JD has really come good. His personal problems seem to have receded and, fingers crossed, he seems to be less injury prone. And he didn't get suspended: I'll take that.

Ted D said...

Buncha wiseacres; 2 OUT of 3! There can only be one Mayor, Mattie. And next year? Indoor party.

Dawn, I thought Stacy took a great picture; captured his ornery self perfectly. Again, 2 out of 3. ;) (Note to self: check posts carefully.)

Horsham, I've been really glad to see him play so well this season. A full year out of him and we'll be in good shape.

beckperson said...

My sister was on vacation last week in Wilmington, NC. On her drive down, she thought she'd test Red Sox Nation by wearing her Red Sox T-shirt. Sure enough, she was stopped several times in rest stops by fellow fans.

Then, while she's out to dinner at the beach, the people at the next table were deeply engrossed in a long conversation about Trot (Nixon). That he was from NC. That his family lived nearby. That he was still trying to hook onto a team somewhere. Etc.

My poor sister won't know what hit her when Red Sox Nation invades Cincinnati this weekend!

We Are Everywhere!!

Ted D said...

Becks, that is awesome! I can't remember if I ever told you, but Trot's parents run in the same social circles as Angies aunt and uncle; I'm hoping for a meet and greet when his playing days are over.

Cincinnati won't know what him 'em.