CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 1, 2008

Mr. Bay goes to Boston

He looks like the guy who brings you your mail or changes your oil or bags your groceries at the local Piggly Wiggly. He most definitely doesn't look like the guy who played LF the past 8 years at Fenway; no dreads, no baggy pants, and apparently he only has to shave once a week.

However, the Red Sox win 2-1 and guess who scored both of the winning teams runs? Jason "I can't be Manny Ramirez" Bay. First one came on a walk in the second, and the last one came after a triple he hit, followed by a Jed Lowrie bang-bang play at first that resulted in Young Jed being safe and Bay running home while "Dirty Water" blared in the background.

Not a bad way to start your gig in the pressure cooker known as Boston. Now, if the media would just leave the guy alone and let him be Jason Bay, we should be OK. Although I'm betting CHB will have a nasty column about how he'll never make it in Boston and we never should have traded Manny, complete with a chart and a pie graph showing how many times Ortiz struck out with Manny sitting on the bench.

Dink.

Live well and prosper, Manuel. I hope you find that peace you're searching for.

Long live the Jason Bay era.

8 comments:

Tex said...

i think im gonna have to search out his autograph now in September.
I do hope Manny finds what he's looking for. But lately, I'm not really sure he even knows what he's looking for. Grass is always greener on the other side and if they are making him cut his hair..

I like Jason being Jason.

Ted D said...

Jason being Jason is just fine with me, Tex.

What a great debut for him.

Stacy said...

I'm sad Manny is gone...although I agree it was time.

Sounds like Mr. Bay did just fine in his debut. Good for him.

Manny has to cut his hair? Hmmm, he may be rethinking a few of the things he said over the last few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Your comment on Manny headed to the Jays was priceless. It made me laugh. We've learned never to say never.

Tree Newt said...

I can't believe he's gone, but I'm glad they got a guy that's goin to get out there and bring it every day, a la our former right fielder and your youngest son's namesake. Sad he's gone, but makes me wonder? Was all the crap each year about Manny wanting a trade really false? Or could thy just not dump him without giving him away? Seems like they had to wait until there was peanuts left on his contract, ship him off with a check for the rest, then devise another trade to get someone to replace him. Sad, but I'm anxious to see how things to now. It's boy like they don't have hitters to fill his spot. It wasn't Papi, Manny, then the slouches. We've got pretty good bats on that team, and I think we will see a turn around.

And I think Manny will love Disneyland.

Ted D said...

Stacy, not sure if he'll have to cut it; Torre suggested it though. I'm pretty sure Manny's not cutting his hair for just two months to play. And Bay did just fine last night.

Edge, you really never know; Toronto's gonna need a DH next year. ;)

Mattie, I sort of think your scenario makes the most sense. And yes; He'll LOVE Disneyland.

Crystal said...

Bay has settled in really well! I was glad to see him playing the ball well off the wall so quickly!

I'm also glad that Lowrie has been playing well! He's right up there with Beckett on my "Favorites" list!

Ted D said...

Hey Crys!

From what I've seen from the first 2 games, Bay is going to be just fine. And Lowrie may have cemented that SS spot when Lugo gets back; he's played about as well as you could have imagined. That bases clearing triple tonight was wicked awesome.