CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Baseball is a Funny Game

I took the kids outside after church today and after a few minutes of riding bikes, kicking soccer balls, and terrorizing the few brave squirrels who dared to venture into our yard, our playtime ended up where it usually does; having a catch and BP in the driveway.

The first picture sort of hit me when I looked at the shots Ang had taken. Last summer, I was standing at the line right in front of Rakes while I threw to him. Today I was at the end of the driveway, bringing it at a pretty fast clip and he was tagging line drives off my neighbors garage doors. Note to self: tell T-Ball coach in April to pack a cup when he comes to practice.

I can't really get a feel for Rakes batting stance. It's some type of combination of Youk, Craig Counsel, and Tanner Boyle from the Bad News Bears. I'm sure it's completely wrong, but the way he was spraying line drives around the yard makes me want to write a note to every coach he has from now on telling them to let the little heathen stand any way he wants to if he's whacking the ball like he was today. I even tried to get him to hit left handed, but after 5 foul balls he got aggravated and I got exasperated so we went back to the right side of the plate before the two of us needed to go to counseling.

Finally, while Rakes, Ciera, and I were re-creating Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS in the driveway, Trot was getting ready to emerge from the garage ready to throw down.

I have no idea where I went wrong.

Rich, I've got a sinking feeling there is a picture of you looking EXACTLY like this somewhere in your parents house right now.

12 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

Just remember that Pedroia took a lot of criticism. Look how that turned out. ;-)

Trot always makes me laugh. He is so funny. And so darn cute. Lucky for him some days, I bet. ;-)

Ted D said...

Good point on Pedie, Dawn. And Trot always makes me laugh to. Which has saved his tail more times than I can remember. ;)

Rich in the Garage said...

Picture?

Thats what I'm wearing!

Ted D said...

Color me shocked. ;)

Rich in the Garage said...

Looks like a solid stance to me, just make sure that swing is good and level is all.

Ted D said...

He's getting the hang of it pretty fast, Rich.

Rich in the Garage said...

No, hes training to swing at things on shelves.

Trust me, its all part of my plan.

Ted D said...

You realize you're not getting a Christmas card this year, right?

HorshamScouse said...

Seems like Rakes has developed even in the short time since Christmas. You're raising a slugger, Ted.

And Trot's hat? Classic. Send that pic to Bridget now!

Ted D said...

John, he's actually gotten better since you were here. I'd forgotten you were the roving outfielder just a few weeks ago!

Hopefully Bridget saw the post; I'll try and send it to her this evening when I get home!

Sarah said...

Your kids are so funny! Loving these pictures, and the impish grin/mobster poses from a couple of entries back.

Ted D said...

Sarah, they are nuts; not so sure about funny. And I appreciate you reading this train wreck on a regular basis. ;)