CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 20, 2009

Julio and Julio Down by the Ball Park

*Globe Staff Photo / Jim Davis*

Even though he's 2 years into his status as "Theo Epsteins biggest mistake this side of Eric Gagne" I love this picture of Julio Lugo and his son; it shows that these guys are just like us. Dads and husbands who have the same thoughts and feelings the rest of us have.

Only we don't have to live our lives under the constant scrutiny of the press and the obsession of a Nation of Red Sox fanatics.

I firmly realize Lugo will never be what Theo and the rest of us wanted; it seems like we've had a revolving door at SS since Nomar left and Julio is well on his way into joining Pokey, OC, Edgah, and Alex Gonzalez in the ex-Red Sox shortstop column.

So if it's time for the "Jed Lowrie Era" in Boston, I've got no problem with that. Just like I've got no issues with those who wish we'd trade him for a bag of balls, a $5 dollar gift certificate to Starbucks, and one of those Groucho Marx glasses/moustache things.

But I really hope the guy wins Comeback player of the year.

If for nothing else the man in that picture kissing his son on the forehead can't be ALL bad.

7 comments:

sittingstill said...

Ted, it's funny... I never wanted Lugo, but I don't wish him anything other than the best. And I'm a huge fan of Lowrie. But it really is one of those situations where I wish folks understood that these guys are, y'know, human. Lugo was phenomenal with Manny--Manny would visibly, on the field, take criticism from Lugo that he apparently wasn't taking from anyone else.

So much goes on that we can't see. But there's probably no moment that makes that more clear than seeing these guys with their kids.

Ted D said...

Evening Kelly. And I'm with you; I never fully understood Theo's fascination with Lugo either but just because they are ball players doesn't mean they aren't just like us.

Rich in the Garage said...

I'd trade lugo for a pair of socks and a jock strap to be named later.

Ted D said...

Rich, you fall in the category of the Groucho Marx crowd. Which I completely understand.

HorshamScouse said...

A shortstop should play defence very well and contribute reasonably to offence, not the other way around.

Lugo's occasional offensive contributions don't come close to outweighing his defensive lapses.

I'll take Jacoby to play the position outstandingly and wait for his offence to come back.

HorshamScouse said...

That's not to say I don't find the pic cute, though:)

Ted D said...

Gotcha, John. ;)

I understand why people feel the way they do about Lugo; for some reason I just don't.