CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Congrats, Timmy

*Picture courtesy of Kelly O at sittingstill.net*

Middle aged men with slight beer bellies, male pattern baldness, and more gray than black in their beard rejoiced today.

In one of the better "feel good" stories of the year and after 17 years in baseball, 42 year old Tim Wakefield made the All-Star game today. One of my all-time favorite memories of Wakefield is tied into the worst memory I have of his time in Boston.

One year after giving up the ALCS winning home run to Aaron Boone at Yankee Stadium Wake stood on that same mound, with tears running down his cheeks as Schill poured Budweiser on his head after they finally vanquished the Yankees.

Gives me goosebumps to think about it to this very day.

What Wake does off the mound is even more impressive, visiting sick children at local hospitals, giving his time and energy to various charities, and more than likely spending his off days helping little old ladies cross the street and getting the odd stray cat out of a tree.

Joining Wake in St Louis are Jason Bay, The Munchkin, Beckett, Paps, and Youk, all of them deservedly so.

But Wake getting the nod is truly special.

It'll be a little dusty at my house next Tuesday night when he tips his cap as his name is announced to the St Louis crowd.

11 comments:

fla beck said...

I was so happy that Wake got the nod! I strongly dislike Joe Maddon just a little bit less today.

Ted D said...

Becky, I was really pumped to hear he got the nod. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Stacy said...

Good for Timmy. It's a victory for all of us in the over 40 crowd. He's having a great year and this very cool.

Ted D said...

As for the over 40 crowd?

Speak for yourself for now. ;)

HorshamScouse said...

I'll join Stacy, being (considerably) over 40 but without the male pattern baldness. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

Stacy said...

I didn't say YOU were in the over 40 crowd. But there are a few of us on here. (John...where are you?)

Ted D said...

John and Stacy, I agree; couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Rich in the Garage said...

Tim Wakefield commemorative all star canes and walkers now on sale for 19.95.

Ted D said...

I'll take one of each. And one day you're going to get old; and I'm going to laugh and laugh.

Rich in the Garage said...

You are old and I do laugh.

But my wheel chair will have racing stripes and spinners sir.

Ted D said...

Of that I have no doubt, Jr.