CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 5, 2009

The Other Side of Parenthood

With the Red Sox off until Thursday I was sort of stumped for what to write about today. Then, smack in the middle of reading Rakes his customary 3 books before bedtime, the little sucker went and gave me my topic when he fell fast asleep on the couch.

I realize reading "Giant John" for the 2 millionth time isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but usually getting him to sleep is a tad bit more difficult than getting an actual human being on the line when you call customer service for DirecTV.

But there it is in photographic evidence for all to see.

And since I'm usually writing about someone peeing in something other than the toilet or somebody writing on the wall with lipstick or somebody building a Doomsday Device out of toilet paper and a SpongeBob doll in their bedroom, tonight, thanks to Rakes falling asleep right next to me, I give you the following Top Ten.

Ted's Top Ten Things That Make Being A Dad The Best Job On Earth.

10. Images like the one I posted here tonight.

9. Trot walking into the kitchen, hopped up on gummy bears and apple juice and asking me to "hold me".

8. Ciera, in a room full of her peers, giving me a hug AND a kiss AND saying "I love you, Daddy."

7. Rakes telling me about the toy available with the latest Happy Meal at McDonalds in the same voice Jim Ross used to use when "Stone Cold" Steve Austin was hitting the ring.

6. Watching them walk into church with their heads held high and looking everyone who speaks to them in the eye and not afraid to answer whatever question they are being asked.

5. Rakes singing "I am a friend of God" when he doesn't know I'm listening and me thinking, just for a brief moment, that maybe he'll avoid reform school after all.

4. Me asking Ciera if she's met any boys at Middle School and still getting the sarcastic "Daaaaad". It won't be much longer so I'm gonna enjoy it while I can.

3. Trot and Rakes watching the Sox with me and when someone hits a home run all three of us shouting "YES!" and pumping our fists at the same time. Almost makes a tear come to my eye.

2. The absolute joy in their voices when Ang hits the door after being gone. Could have been all day or could have been 5 minutes, it doesn't matter. And when I hear that sound? It makes me love my wife even more than I already did. 'Cause anyone who can get THAT reaction from MY kids? That is a pretty special person.

1. Checking in on them at night after they've gone to sleep. There isn't a thing on this world, including an ocean sunset, Fenway Park at night, or Derek Jeter dejectedly looking on from the dugout while the Red Sox celebrate, any more beautiful than that.

3 more days. 3 more days.

7 comments:

Tree Newt said...

You are a blessed man big bro.

Ted D said...

Yep. You are too, little brother. Just with no boys; May God have mercy on you. ;)

Stacy said...

Great post. Evidently kindergarten is wearing the poor child out. :)

I'll add one to your list: your 11 year old son takes his Bible to a sleepover (he reads before he goes to bed) and you don't discover it until you're unpacking his bag. I don't know if he read it, but I was so touched that he took it.

Ted D said...

He's usually wiped out by 8. And that is pretty amazing for an 11 year old.

Tex said...

Rakes and Trot will use that whole 'being different' aspect in a good way...they're practicing not following the crowd already :)

fla beck said...

Just catching up. One of your BEST.POSTS.EVER. I heard you,Ted!

Ted D said...

They are at that, Tex. ;) And Becky? I heard you too!