CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Let's Hear it for the Old Dudes.

I'm 40 years old and can't walk to the mailbox without stopping to catch my breath. Granted, I sell furniture for a living so the comparison is sort of skewed, but the fact Jamie Moyer just underwent Tommy John surgery and is already planning a comeback at the age of FORTY NINE in 2012 made me swell up with pride.

In a sport where you're considered "old" at 35 and ancient at the age of 40, Moyer is planning to come back from MAJOR surgery TWO years from now and pitch against a bunch of young pups full of youth, vigor, and not enough smarts to come in out of the rain.

From my perspective, this is the real-life equivalent of Rocky Balboa coming out of retirement to fight some 20 something punk itching to beat down a legend.

I think taking Rakes to Target on a Wednesday night to buy some Pokemon cards is tough; this cat is willing to have ligament transplant surgery, go through thousands of hours of rehab and weeks and months of pain and misery all for the prospect of throwing a 85 mile an hour fastball to Albert Freaking Pujols.

It almost makes me want to go out, join the local gym, and put in hours of pain and suffering so I can play on the church's softball team next season.

Almost.

I may be old but I'm not senile.

Yet.

4 comments:

Rich in the Garage said...

And he's got just as much of a chance at winning 15 as Beckett does.

Ted D said...

Keep yapping, Jr and I'll be taking that $100 in dimes.

Stacy said...

Good for Jamie Moyer. I hope Rich is right.

And it wouldn't kill you to exercise once in a while. :)

Ted D said...

Stacy, he's saying Beckett WON'T win 15; don't encourage him. And at this point, it probably WOULD kill me if I exercised.