CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 10, 2011

Pals

Like most of the serious moments so far in my kid's lives, tonight's came out of the clear blue. One minute I'm making eggs for the kids and the next minute Rakes, while looking at a picture of him and Mr. Andy on the refrigerator asks "Dad, are we going to a Bulls game with Mr. Andy this summer?"

It's been over a year since Andy passed away and I still hadn't found a way to tell Rakes; as usual he took care of that for me.

It's never easy dealing with the death of a friend, much less when you're 7 and your friend is someone you only saw once in a while. But as I explained to Rakes that we wouldn't be able to go to another game with Andy his expression saddened briefly, then he sort of lit up again.

"Dad. Even though we can't go WITH Andy anymore he can still sort of go with us, right? I mean, we went before and he knows how to get there so maybe even if we can't see him it's sort of like he's there, right?"

And once again that little maniac goes and surprises me; here I was worried how he'd take it and somehow he ends up comforting ME.

Oh yeah; BB, if you read this, I sort of promised him that we could still go with you and DB this summer so let's see if we can work something out, OK?

12 comments:

Tex said...

Even when they leave us, the ones we love are always there. We always carry them in our hearts. Silly Ted...even kids know this. Sometimes more than us adults, we just have to reminded.

9 more days till my nephews anniversary of his death so this really hits home for me. Tell Rakes thanks

Ted D said...

Will do, Tex. And BTW? You still need to visit.

Tex said...

at my rate, Ill be there for Trot's graduation :)
I really try to plan it but Im more than a 5 hr trip. And until I get a job....trips involving plane fares are pretty much NOT happening. I highly doubt I'll make it to Boston this year. Will be first time to miss it since 2004.

Ted D said...

At This rate? If he graduates it'll be a plus. ;) You're welcome anytime, sis.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Kids get it better than we ever do as adults I think. Maybe their innocence protects them in a way. Or maybe their eyes are less clouded than ours & they remember the most important parts more readily than we do.

Ted D said...

Dawn, I think you hit it on the head. On both counts.

HorshamScouse said...

Dusty here in Porirua, Ted. Tell Rakes Hi from Mr John.

alexis_RSN_South said...

To paraphrase the HBO sports docu "Reverse of the Curse of the Bambino". Being a Red Sox fan isn't about baseball alone. It's about family. It links us together.

And you celebrate that with your baseball family, even if they're not with you anymore. Especially if they're not with you anymore.

Our baseball family always knows how to get there.

Ted D said...

Will do, Scouser. And Alexis? You said it 10 times better than I could have. Thanks.

alexis_RSN_South said...

I made myself verklempt with that comment last night, Ted. Baseball really needs to come back.

fla beck said...

Aw,Ted,what a great little man you got there! And I know somewhere AB is smiling!

Ted D said...

He's a keeper, Becky. And I really miss my friend.